Jose A Esteves
at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Jose A Esteves is a partner in the IP and technology group at Skadden. In practice for 25 years, he focuses his practice on IP monetisation and strategic IP transactions. Mr Esteves represents clients from both the United States and abroad.
Examples of IP monetisation representations include:
- Goldman Sachs in several securitisations of bundled pharmaceutical royalty streams;
- Theravance in several royalty interest sales and securitisations;
- ABB Limited in a strategic patent transaction;
- certain clients in undisclosed patent monetisations;
- Fortress Investment Group and certain other clients in IP-collateralised loans;
- Amylin Pharmaceuticals in structuring an innovative synthetic $1.2 billion royalty interest;
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals in a transaction for bundled royalties;
- a biotech company in structuring an innovative, tax-efficient monetisation strategy for its drug discovery platform;
- MIPS in the sale of patents to a consortium led by AST, while simultaneously auctioning its operating business (Financial Times 2013 finalist for innovative technology transactions);
- BlackBerry in its 2014 strategic alternatives review and certain strategic IP matters; and
- Yahoo! in its Excalibur patent sale process.
Examples of strategic IP transaction representations include:
- JPMC in a strategic blockchain collaboration with Consensys;
- Intel in its acquisition of Mobileye, sale of its 5G modem business to Apple, divestiture of its connected home division and several other transactions;
- Wildlife Studios and Zenimax Media in gaming software transactions;
- IMAX in its virtual reality joint venture with Google and in licensing and collaborative arrangements for next-generation products;
- Blackrock in certain transactions, including a strategic joint venture;
- Centene Corporation in several digital health ventures; and
- Nokia in its merger with Alcatel-Lucent and in certain other acquisitions.
Jose Esteves is a patent and technology transactions lawyer at the cutting edge of IP monetisation and strategy. His sterling deal record, which cuts across many industry sectors, draws in prestigious clients who further appreciate the wisdom of his commercial counselling.
- IP-backed lending
- Technology transfer
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
One Manhattan West
New York NY 10001