The IAM Strategy 300 focuses exclusively on patent practitioners and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Michael Zhang is perfectly poised in transactional settings and excels as a lead negotiator. His gift for technical, market and infringement analysis enables him to see the big picture and chart a course for successful closings and powerful ongoing revenue generation.
Michael Zhang is associate vice president of business development at Wi-LAN Inc. With over a decade of experience, Mr Zhang is responsible for initiating and negotiating patent acquisitions, patent licences, strategic partnerships and joint ventures. Mr Zhang has identified and led the negotiations on acquisitions of patent portfolios related to AI, consumer electronics, storage, semiconductor, medical and software technologies. Some notable patent portfolios include:
- a worldwide portfolio of medical device patents from a global orthopaedic hospital;
- a portfolio related to microscopy from a top research institute;
- a portfolio related to securing data in storage devices from a technology company on the board of a standards-setting body which promotes hardware-based security for storage devices;
- a portfolio related to semiconductor manufacturing process from IBM; and
- the portfolio licensed to create the company Siri Inc, which was acquired by Apple in 2010.
Over his career, Mr Zhang has successfully negotiated more than 45 acquisition and partnership agreements. These portfolios have generated about $40 million in licensing revenue to date, with many licensing activities ongoing.
Before joining Wi-LAN, Mr Zhang was manager of business development at Acacia Research Corporation, where he led patent acquisition and partnership activities in technology areas such as medical devices and consumer electronics. Prior to focusing on business development, Mr Zhang was an engineer at Acacia, responsible for patent mining, technical analysis, infringement research and market valuation.
Mr Zhang has a BS in biomedical engineering from Case Western Reserve University.