The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Bronze - Individuals: prosecution
The “reassuringly high-quality” Lung Tin Intellectual Property Agent, as one of the legacy IP firms in China, has represented the interests of overseas patent applicants since the inauguration of the Chinese patent system. “Lung Tin is uniquely positioned to get results for Chinese and American clients in China, while being transparent and assisting clients to navigate the Chinese legal system, especially those who may not be familiar.” “They have an excellent understanding of domestic law, but also understand international IP practice. This means that they are very easy to work with when coordinating international patent, design or trademark prosecution. We can communicate very easily with them and know that our instructions will be acted upon in a way that gets the best results in China.” Today, its strong international outlook is complemented with a formidable domestic filing practice, attracting instructions from big names such as Xiaomi, OPPO, LG Electronics and BOE. Spearheading the 220-strong patent attorney team is US-China dual-qualified Qinghong Xu, who relies on her chemistry PhD to dispense optimal IP prosecution strategies. An electronic engineer by trade, Jacob Siyue Zhang nimbly operates on both sides of the contentious/non-contentious divide, and receives superlative feedback from patrons: “He is an excellent communicator and intellectually very capable. He’s my go-to practitioner on patent matters no matter how complex they are.” “Jacob is an excellent attorney who I would recommend to anyone wanting help filing in China. He is an incredible professional whose ability to litigate, produce strong results and handle large corporate dockets is second to none.” “He is a rare talent with all-round experience and capabilities in both patent prosecution and contentious matters. We are more than satisfied with his great performance and the excellent results he helped us achieve in the patent prosecution, invalidation and litigation cases he handled for us during these years, especially those with complicated legal and technical issues.” Another client favourite is skilful patent drafter Yan Huang: “Yan provided us with outstanding support that allowed us to overcome some of the most complex objections raised by the Chinese Patent Office and to have the corresponding design applications granted.” Completing the stellar line-up comes seasoned IP litigator Yan Hong, who has more than 15 years of experience in complex patent invalidity, administrative and civil litigation matters.
Yan Huang has expertise in patent drafting, patent prosecution, patent re-examination, patent invalidity, patent litigation, patent due diligence, freedom-to-operate investigation, patent layout and patent analysis. She has handled a large number of cases for domestic and foreign clients. She is very experienced in patent legal services in the fields of mechanical engineering and mechanical automation such as home appliances, engineering mechanics, automation manufacture, semiconductors, printing facilities, paper apparatuses, medical devices, computer equipment and so forth.
Ms Huang joined Lung Tin in February 2002 and has participated in many important and complex cases.
Ms Huang has been licensed to practise as a Chinese patent attorney since 2007 and was appointed as a patent litigation attorney by the Supreme People’s Court in 2013.
Ms Huang was appointed as a Zhongguancun IP service expert on foreign affairs in April 2018 and as an expert of the Beijing Intellectual Property Expert Database in January 2020.
- “Getting Ahead (Explain the Latest Developments in Chinese Design Patent Prosecution and Enforcement and Offer Some Practical Tips)”, 2011, Managing Intellectual Property – China IP Focus
- “Chinese Practice on Design Freedom Degree/Design Room for Design Patents”, 2014, Intellectual Property Publishing House, Attorney’s Perspectives on IP Practice (1)
- “Strong Design Patents in China-Power of Similar Designs”, 2016.11, No117, China Intellectual Property
- “GUI Becomes Patentable Subject Matter of Design in China”, 2018, Intellectual Property Publishing House, Attorney’s Perspectives on IP Practice (3)
- “Discussion about Grace Period of Novelty under China’s Patent Protection System”, 2019.10, No152, China Intellectual Property
- “Protecting and Enforcing Design Rights: China”, 2019.11, World Trademark Review, Designs: A Global Guide 2020
Founded in 1994, Lung Tin Intellectual Property Agent Ltd – one of the first IP firms approved by the government to represent international clients in China – is headquartered in Beijing with 11 branch offices (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Xi’an, Shenyang, Xiamen, Tianjin, Chongqing, Foshan, Osaka (Japan) and New York (United States)) to provide clients with global IP services.
The firm has 240 attorneys out of 480 staff members. About one-third of its staff members have advanced degrees and about two-thirds use English as their working language. In addition, many are fluent in Japanese, Korean, German and French.
Lung Tin’ s patent team, blending scientific know-how and legal competence, provides high-quality prosecution service not only in traditional technical fields such as mechanics, physics, electronics, chemistry and pharmaceutics, but also in newly emerging technical areas, such as 5G, blockchain and artificial intelligence. Our clients include a great number of well-known international companies.
What makes Lung Tin different?
Commitment and dedication – Lung Tin is a quality-focused IP firm that distinguishes itself from other firms and agencies by employing:
- experienced and confident professionals. Its key professionals have been with Lung Tin for more than 10 years, helping it deliver consistent and top-quality IP services – both legal and technical. The firm’s professionals have the technical skills to interpret complex facts and the law with scientific expertise, and are committed to providing tailored services of the highest standard with efficiency and effectiveness; and
- responsive and efficient paralegals and assistants who support the firm’s professionals to ensure prompt, precise and cost-effective delivery of work by using state-of-the-art equipment and a detail-oriented system for communication, product processing, docketing and billing.
How does Lung Tin earn clients’ trust?
- Reliability and success – this is what Lung Tin delivers to clients. Specifically, delivering value to clients with accuracy, consistency, speed and reliability is of primary importance at Lung Tin. From individuals to multinational companies, its clients trust it to handle some of their most important assets: their intellectual property.
- Skilful and well prepared – this has helped the firm to win a high-damages award under the current judicial practice in China in Bauerfeind AG v Zhejiang Steriger Sports Safety Co Ltd, in which client Bauerfeind AG won an important victory in the Beijing Second Intermediate People’s Court for design patent infringement.
- Strategic and technical – this ensures that the attorneys deliver satisfying results to clients. Lung Tin’s client Hong Kong Polytechnic University prevailed on validity challenges in a series of invalidation proceedings against international and domestic companies.
- Persistent and sharp-minded – this ensures that the firm’s efforts are recognised. In Macy’s PLC v Trademark Review and Adjudication Board, the Beijing IP Court upheld Lung Tin’s client Macy’s CHARTER CLUB mark, deemed its original equipment manufacturing (OEM) use as effective and actual in China, and rejected the Trademark Review and Adjudication Board’s decision. The IP Court’s decision is a rare and important one because it recognises that OEM use can prove actual use of a trademark in China in the context of non-use cancellations.
- Pioneering and talented – this helps the firm to achieve significant results. In Balanced Body Inc v Yongkang Elina Sports Equipment Co Ltd, Lung Tin represents Balanced Bode Inc as the plaintiff. The court affirmed that the defendant’s behaviour constituted a trademark infringement and ruled that it bore the responsibility for compensation of Rmb3 million, including reasonable expenses. This case was selected among the Supreme Court’s 2019 Top 10 Intellectual Property Cases by Chinese Courts.
Rankings and awards
- China Leading Law Firm by Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2021
- Recommended Firm for Patent Prosecution by the IAM Patent 1000, 2014 to 2021
- A Top Tier Firm for Patent Prosecution, Patent Litigation, Trademark Prosecution by Managing Intellectual Property, 2010 to 2021
- Trademark Prosecution Firm, Bronze by the WTR 1000, 2015 to 2021
- Four-star Patent Firm in China in 2016 by China IP News
- Outstanding IP Service Team in China by China Intellectual Property Magazine, 2015 to 2020
- Top 10 Chinese Patent Firm by IPRdaily, 2016 and 2019
- Top 10 Intellectual Property Litigation Law Firms, 2019-2020
- Top 10 Firm for China Patent Administrative Litigation, 2017 to 2019