The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Bronze - Individuals: litigation
White & Case added important assets in New York in 2021, bringing on board two highly respected former Quinn Emanuel partners, Peter Armenio and Colleen Tracy James. Their arrival beefed up an already outstanding life sciences – and all-round – patent litigation practice, headlined by Dimitrios Drivas and staffed with a host of other savvy trial lawyers, including Alison Hanstead and Raj Gandesha. Drivas has provided devoted support to innovative companies of all kinds as they take on their toughest challenges and face their most pressing threats, and has performed at the highest level for decades. Hanstead has a deep knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector, which she has cultivated through engagement in extensive Hatch-Waxman litigation and deal work. Gandesha demonstrates impressive range, too, and takes on diverse IP, antitrust and commercial cases while also advising on data issues. White & Case is a go-to for deals, as well as disputes, with its global technology transactions offering captained superbly by Arlene Arin Hahn. A dynamo for her clients, Hahn is also a diversity and inclusion champion within her firm and beyond its walls. She also has professional experience in Asia, as does Erin Hanson, a vital cog in the outfit’s technology transactions, M&A and IP groups.
Raj Gandesha is a partner in White & Case’s Global IP practice and represents US and international clients in high-stakes IP, antitrust and commercial litigation matters, with a special focus on litigations that raise novel issues, at the intersection of patent law, innovation policy and competition law.
Mr Gandesha’s recent matters include the following:
- Defending Pfizer in multiple nationwide class action antitrust and RICO litigations with respect to EpiPen, Lipitor, Effexor XR, Humira and Celebrex accusing the company of delaying entry of generic competition through, among other things, alleged 'reverse payment' patent settlements, 'sham' FDA citizen petitions, 'sham' patent litigation, fraud on the FDA, purported 'product hopping' and fraud on the USPTO;
- Representing a European innovator of speech recognition technology in US patent litigation commenced by an incumbent US competitor in which the former asserts antitrust and unfair competition counterclaims against the latter based on patent thicketing, sham patent litigation and other competition-foreclosing conduct;
- Representing a generic drug manufacturer in multiple state and federal actions alleging False Claims Act, common law fraud and consumer protection claims based on allegations that drug manufacturers reported inaccurate pricing benchmarks, which allegedly caused state Medicaid agencies to overpay for prescription drugs provided to Medicaid beneficiaries;
- Securing on behalf of a major national oil company the complete dismissal at the motion to dismiss stage, under, among other things, the political question and act of state doctrines, of a putative class action alleging price fixing of refined petroleum products relating to OPEC;
- Representing a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in a novel trade secret misappropriation matter before the US ITC concerning alleged theft of bacterial strains that resulted in a successful settlement for our client; and
- Securing on behalf of landline and wireless telephone companies the complete dismissal of multi-party federal patent infringement actions concerning international call-blocking technology.
White & Case is a global law firm with a longstanding presence in the markets that matter today. The firm’s on-the-ground experience, cross-border integration and depth of local, US and English-qualified lawyers help clients work with confidence in any one market or across many. White & Case guides clients through difficult issues, bringing its insight and judgment to each situation. The firm’s innovative approaches create original solutions to clients’ most complex domestic and multi-jurisdictional deals and disputes.
The firm’s main areas of practice are outlined below.
Clients throughout the world seek the advice of White & Case antitrust lawyers. They count on the firm’s extensive experience in litigation against governmental authorities or private parties, counselling on delicate questions and comprehensive worldwide coverage of merger control regimes.
Since White & Case’s founding, banking has been at the core of the firm’s practice. Today, the firm represents major banks worldwide, including many of the largest. The firm provides guidance related to acquisition finance, commercial lending, project finance, bankruptcy and debt restructurings, and regulatory advice.
White & Case has a formidable reputation in the field of international securities and finance. Clients benefit from the firm’s capabilities in equity and debt offerings, sovereign issues, high-yield debt, securitisations, derivatives, investment funds and regulatory and broker-dealer matters.
Clients entrust White & Case with their ‘must-win’ matters – disputes in which huge sums, invaluable patents and brands, and even out-and-out company survival are at stake. The firm has won major trials and appeals for clients in an array of industries, including financial services, pharmaceuticals, technology, sports, media and entertainment, and consumer products.
Financial restructuring and insolvency
White & Case is a recognised leader in complex cross-border insolvencies and workouts. The firm represents global clients in all aspects of restructurings, workouts and insolvency matters, including both transactional and litigation matters.
White & Case was one of the first full-service firms to develop an IP practice. Its lawyers protect and defend clients’ innovations, creative works and brands around the world, offering advice related to patents, copyright and designs, IP audits and due diligence, licensing and merchandising, sourcing and technology, and privacy and data protection.
White & Case is the only leading global law firm with large and long-established arbitration teams in New York, Washington DC, London, Paris, Geneva, Singapore and Stockholm, along with significant strength in other key cities, including Frankfurt, Moscow, Miami, Seoul, Hong Kong and Sydney.
Mergers and acquisitions
White & Case is among the world’s leading law firms in mergers and acquisitions. The firm advises corporations, financial institutions and private equity firms across a variety of industries, in all manner of complex cross-border and domestic M&A transactions. Its M&A lawyers are leading practitioners in all major jurisdictions around the world.
White & Case’s financial sponsor practice has a truly global reach, with market-leading service offerings in New York, London and Hong Kong, as well as fully integrated, full-service private equity practices across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. White & Case represents numerous preeminent large-cap and mid-market sponsors, as well as their portfolio companies, in their domestic and cross-border transactions.
White & Case is highly regarded for its skill in helping clients complete complex real estate financings and its in-depth experience with legal matters relating to real estate investment funds. The group handles acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, portfolio sales and securitisation, financings and sales/leasebacks.
White & Case’s tax lawyers and advisers are strategically located in financial centres and government capitals worldwide to provide timely, effective advice on evolving tax law and policies. The practice has provided clients with innovative, practical approaches to minimise tax liabilities on issues ranging from mergers and acquisitions to financings and investment fund transactions.
White & Case helps clients manage the risks and maximise the opportunities associated with the increasing regulation of international trade in goods and services. The firm has an interdisciplinary, full-service global trade practice that is one of the world’s largest and most active in trade remedies and in the law of the World Trade Organisation.
White & Case helps clients deal with government investigations and enforcement matters. In addition to years of front-line prosecutorial experience, the firm has substantial experience defending clients through all phases of investigations, as well as criminal and civil enforcement proceedings. Clients include large corporations, as well as individuals prominent in business and political affairs.