The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Recommended - Individuals: prosecution
Magellan IP undertakes high-level work and represents the Broad Institute with respect to CRISPR technology and portfolio development matters; Laboratoire Français du Fractionnement et des Biotechnologies – and a host of other top Brazilian and international life sciences clients; and Uber Technologies among other cutting-edge high-technology innovators. One of the best reasons to bring instructions here is the presence of Leonor Magalhães Galvão: “Leonor is the go-to in Brazil for life sciences patent matters. She is extremely well trained, hard working and hands on, and immerses herself in the details of her cases while seeing and advising on the bigger strategic picture. As well as being an exceptionally gifted patent attorney, she is a natural leader to a team that has grown significantly. Her drive, passion and dedication are contagious and reflect in the advice and service she provides – which are of the highest standard. She has ushered in a new era of professional patent service in Brazil.” Her talented colleagues include fellow founder Caio Rodrigues da Silva, a patent and designs expert with cultivated drafting and analytical skills, and partner Alex Gonçalves de Almeida, who has a strong background in the pharmaceutical industry.
Leonor Magalhães Galvão is one of the founding partners of magellan IP and head of the firm’s patent practice. She has nearly 20 years of experience in the field of intellectual property. Prior to founding magellan IP, she was a partner at renowned Brazilian IP firms.
Dr Galvão represents important national and international clients ranging from academic institutions to multinational corporations, drafting and prosecuting patents before the Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office, advising on technology transfer, providing legal opinions, handling oppositions and appeal proceedings, and providing general consultancy services in intellectual property. With a doctorate in biochemistry, she specialises in chemistry, biotechnology, immunology, pharmacology, medical devices, diagnostics and green technologies.
Dr Galvão regularly presents worldwide on a variety of topics regarding Brazilian patent law and practice. She has gained respect in the profession as a member of the Brazilian Association of Industrial Property Agents and as chair and co-chair the Biotechnology Committee of the Brazilian Intellectual Property Association (ABPI). In more recent years she has been an active member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) as a member of the Standing Committee on Pharma and vice chair of the Standing Committee on IP and Green Technology. Dr Galvão also volunteers as a mentor in IP matters at Endeavor, a global non-governmental organisation that promotes entrepreneurship.
- BSc in biochemistry, Imperial College London
- PhD in biochemistry, University of São Paulo
- Brazilian patent and trademark attorney
- Nearly 20 years of experience at well-known Brazilian IP firms
- Founded magellan IP in Rio de Janeiro in 2015; the firm now has a 25-plus strong team
- Helped launch the firm’s liaison office in Lisbon in 2019 for Brazil and Portuguese-speaking Africa
- Member of the Brazilian Association of Industrial Property Agents
- Co-chair, Biotechnology Committee, ABPI (2004-2009 and 2012- 2017)
- Brazilian delegate before the AIPPI
- Member of the AIPPI Biotech and Pharma Committees
- Vice chair, AIPPI Standing Committee on IP and Green Technology
- Recognitions in IAM Patent 1000, IAM Patent 300, Who’s Who Legal and Leaders’ League
magellan IP provides a wide range of IP services in the main Portuguese-speaking countries around the world – namely, Brazil, Portugal Angola and Mozambique. The services range from prosecution and administrative litigation before the local patent and trademark offices to general consulting services and litigation support.
The firm’s name was inspired by Portuguese-born navigator Ferdinand Magellan, one of the great explorers of his era launching the expedition that first circumnavigated the world. And just like Magellan did with Earth, magellan IP sees the world of intellectual property differently.
Combining traditional values with a modern approach to managing and addressing IP problems, magellan IP helps its clients navigate the world of intellectual property and demystify the protection of intellectual property in Portuguese-speaking countries.
It advises a wide range of clients, from the smallest start-ups and university technology transfer centres to the largest multinational corporations, such as The Broad Institute (with its CRISPR portfolio), Uber Technologies, Guangdong Oppo Mobile Telecommunications Corp, Laboratoire Français du Fractionnement et des Biotechnologies (LFB), Invista Technologies, Isedio/Leviat, Avita International, Recepta Biopharma, Biolab Farmaceutica, Orygen Biotecnologia and Angelus Odontologia. Companies such as CIPLA and Pfizer also use the firm’s services for opinion work.
The firm’s team has extensive experience and very broad knowledge of intellectual property. The founding partners have advanced degrees from prestigious universities in Brazil and aboard, have previously worked in top-ranking Brazilian and Portuguese firms and have established reputations as experts in their field. They also bring the cultural benefits of having several nationalities and having collectively lived in several countries on three continents.
The team of 25 collaborators includes five partners and 12 patent experts who share their fluency in Portuguese, English, French and Spanish.
The firm’s philosophy centres on six main areas:
- Client focus – the firm strives to maintain a close and personal relationship with each client. By focusing on clients’ goals, the firm is able to provide them with customised, high-quality services that bring added value to their businesses.
- Efficiency – by using a world-renowned cloud-based encrypted project and matter management system, and having a 100% paper-free practice, magellan IP team members are able to safely access files anytime, anywhere, and are therefore able to provide more reliable and efficient results. Productivity is not obstructed by bureaucracy and conflicting internal issues that often affect established IP and law firms.
- Ethics – honesty and integrity are the foundations upon which the team’s conduct is built, following the highest ethical standards, and in compliance with all applicable laws. Conflicts are taken seriously, and the firm represents only businesses whose standards of conduct are aligned with its own.
- Quality – providing the best results is at the core of magellan IP’s professional DNA. The firm is known for advising its clients on their realistic chances of success and potential pitfalls before embracing a new project. Clients are never sold unnecessary services, or services that the firm may not be fully equipped to provide.
- Fair pricing – obtaining superior results and controlling the cost of acquiring and managing IP portfolios are often competing priorities. Thus, the founding partners devoted time and thought to structuring the firm in a way that avoids costly and unnecessary overheads. Most services carry a fixed fee and where this is not the case, costs are informed on a project-by-project basis.
- Equality – diversity and individual contributions are highly valued, with a trusting and inclusive environment that reflects the values of magellan IP. The founding partners are proud of the very positive feedback received from everyone at the firm. Fostering an engaging and creative place to work where every individual matters is one of their main goals.