The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Bronze - Individuals: litigation
Bronze - Individuals: prosecution
As one of the legacy IP practices in China, Lung Tin has represented the interests of numerous overseas patent applicants since the inauguration of the Chinese patent system. Today, its strong international outlook is complemented with a formidable domestic filing practice, attracting instructions from big names such as OPPO and China Telecom. Spearheading an elite group of patent attorneys is IP maven Qinghong Xu, who is dual qualified in the United States and China, and who relies on her chemistry PhD to dispense optimal IP prosecution strategies. Next to her is Yan Huang, whose practice encompasses everything from drafting, invalidity and due diligence to litigation and freedom-to-operate investigation. An electronic engineer by trade, Jacob Siyue Zhang nimbly operates on both sides of the contentious/non-contentious divide; while several of his contentious endeavours have been selected as annual top 10 cases by the Supreme People’s Court of China.
Jacob Siyue Zhang has expertise in patent prosecution, invalidity, administrative and civil litigation, strategy design and portfolio development, due diligence and freedom-to-operate investigation and analysis, as well as IP anti-counterfeiting. He is experienced in patent cases in technical areas of computer software and hardware, Internet, e-commerce, electronics, telecommunication, semiconductor, image processing, display and lighting, mechanics and automation, among other areas.
Since March 2007, Mr Zhang has represented many Fortune 500 companies in over 1,000 patent prosecution and litigation cases. These include:
- a patent invalidity case that was selected as the No. 1 case among the Top 10 cases of the Patent Re-examination Board of the China National Intellectual Property Administration in 2016;
- patent civil litigation cases and the related patent invalidity case that were selected by people.cn (a state-run media) as the No. 1 case among the Top 10 typical patent cases in 2018; and
- a civil litigation case that was selected by the Supreme People’s Court of China as one of the Top 10 IP litigation cases of the Chinese courts in 2019.
Mr Zhang and his team also manage global patent portfolios comprising thousands of patents and patent applications in various jurisdictions on behalf of their Chinese clients.
Mr Zhang is frequently invited to speak at international IP events, such as at European Patent Office, the University of Washington and the World Congress of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys.
Mr Zhang was licensed to practise as a Chinese patent attorney in 2008 and qualified as a Chinese national information engineer (patent information analysis) in 2009. Mr Zhang obtained his master’s in microelectronic design (first-class honours) from the National University of Ireland and his bachelor’s in telecommunication and electronic system from the Beijing Institute of Technology.
Mr Zhang was recognised as a Beijing Outstanding Patent Attorney by the Beijing Patent Attorneys Association in 2021. Mr Zhang is vice chair of the China IP Issues Committee of the American Bar Association for the current term (2019-2023).
Founded in 1994, Lung Tin Intellectual Property Agent Ltd, one of the first Chinese IP firms approved by the government to represent international clients in China, is headquartered in Beijing with branch offices in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Xi'an, Shenyang, Xiamen, Tianjin, Chongqing, Foshan, Osaka and New York. Since its establishment, Lung Tin has grown into a prominent full-service IP firm, having a network of strategic alliances worldwide to provide clients with global IP services.
The firm has over 260 attorneys out of more than 500 staff members. About half of the staff members have advanced degrees and about two-thirds use English as their working language. In addition, many are fluent in Japanese, Korean, German and French.
Lung Tin’ s patent team has expanded to over 350, and 40-plus of them hold dual qualifications as patent attorneys and lawyers, blending scientific know-how and legal competence, providing high-quality prosecution service not only in traditional technical fields such as mechanics, physics, electronics, chemistry and pharmaceutics, but also in newly emerging technical areas, such as 5G, blockchain and artificial intelligence. Our clients include a great number of well-known international companies.
What makes Lung Tin different?
Commitment and dedication – Lung Tin is a quality-focused IP firm that distinguishes itself from other firms and agencies by employing:
- experienced and confident professionals. Its key professionals have been with Lung Tin for more than 15 years, helping it deliver consistent and top-quality IP services – both legal and technical. The firm’s professionals have the technical skills to interpret complex facts and the law with scientific expertise, and are committed to providing tailored services of the highest standard with efficiency and effectiveness; and
- responsive and efficient paralegals and assistants who support the firm’s professionals to ensure prompt, precise and cost-effective delivery of work by using state-of-the-art equipment and a detail-oriented system for communication, product processing, docketing and billing.
How does Lung Tin earn clients’ trust?
- Reliability and success – this is what Lung Tin delivers to clients. Specifically, delivering value to clients with accuracy, consistency, speed and reliability is of primary importance at Lung Tin. From individuals to multinational companies, its clients trust it to handle some of their most important assets: their intellectual property.
- Skill and preparedness – this has helped the firm to win a high-damages award under the current judicial practice in China.
- Strategy and technical expertise – this ensures that the firm’s efforts are well recognised.
- Persistence and sharp-mindedness – this ensures that the attorneys deliver satisfying results to clients.
Rankings and awards
- Recommended Firm for Patent Prosecution by IAM Patent 1000, 2014-2022
- A Top Tier Firm for Patent Prosecution, Patent Litigation, and Trademark Prosecution by Managing Intellectual Property (MIP), 2010-2022
- Recommended Chinese Trademark Firm, by WTR 1000, 2015-2023
- Outstanding IP Service Team in China by China Intellectual Property Magazine, 2015-2022
- Asia IP China IP Awards by Asia IP, 2021-2022
- Four-star Patent Firm in China by China IP News, 2016
- Top 15 Chinese Firms for PCT Work by MIP, 2017
- Top 10 Chinese Patent Firm by IPR daily, 2016-2019
- Top 10 Intellectual Property Litigation Law Firms by IP House, 2019-2020
- Top 10 Firm for China Patent Administrative Litigation by IP House, 2017-2021
- In Nanjing Chia-Tai Tianqing Pharmaceutical (NJCTTQ) v Ecotrein, on behalf of NJCTTQ, Lung Tin requested that the China National Intellectual Property Administration (CNIPA) declare the patent of "novel sulfonamide compounds and their application as endothelin receptor antagonists" invalid. This case was selected by the CNIPA as one of the "Top 10 cases of patent reexamination and invalidation in 2021" and listed as the first case.
- 2020 Typical Cases of the IP Court of the Supreme People's Court for its second anniversary: Appotronics Corporation Limited v Dehao Electron Technology Co Ltd, a patent infringement dispute
- In Balanced Body Inc v Yongkang Elina, Shanghai Pudong Court ruled in favour of Lung Tin’s client Balanced Body Inc in a trademark civil litigation case. The case was selected as one of the Top 10 Supreme People’s Court IP Cases, one of the Top 10 Shanghai Courts IP Cases and one of the Top 10 Shanghai Pudong New Area People’s Court IP Cases of 2019.