The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Recommended - Individuals: prosecution
All corners of the market are unanimous in their praise for Onsagers, one of the most prominent patent outfits in the country. The set comprises European patent attorneys, attorneys-at-law, former NIPO researchers and PhDs, all of whom are united in their client-centric approach, flair for innovation and willingness to push the envelope in search of the best possible solution for their patrons. The life sciences are a particular specialty here, and Kari Helene Simonsen, Kim Livgard, Dorte Lajer and Edmund André Høydahl have outstanding reputations in the field. “Kari and Kim are the leading experts for litigation support. They are super clever, technically brilliant and really understand the whole process from beginning to end. They think, and act, strategically, and most importantly, are amazing to work with.” Another recipient of glowing reviews, “Dorte has an excellent grasp of EU laws and policies, and her abilities in oral proceedings before the EPO are exceptional. Her arguments are concise, precise and showcase a brilliant grasp of all the technical and legal aspects of the matter.” As a trained pharmacist and former senior engineer at NIPO, André Høydahl assists his clients in many meaningful ways, but patent validation and risk assessments are where he truly shines. Physics, energy generation and offshore oil and gas technologies are the fortes of Per Reiner and Endre Woldstad, respectively. As a former R&D engineer and corporate patent counsel at ABB, Reiner has an intimate understanding of power transmission technologies and can really level with inventors, while Woldstad is a discerning choice for those looking to utilise commercially sound strategies in a bid to enhance their global patentportfolios.
Endre Woldstad is a European patent attorney working within technology sectors such as electric power systems, power electronics and offshore oil and gas technology. He has been an expert witness in several court cases related to patent validity and patentinfringement.
He handles patent drafting, prosecution and oppositions before the Norwegian Patent Office and the European Patent Office. In addition, he regularly advises clients on invention capturing, setting up patent strategies and coordinating worldwide patentportfolios.
- Key account manager for a Norwegian company in the power electronics industry. In this role, Mr Woldstad is responsible for planning and managing the relationship between Onsagers and the client – for example, by communicating with the client’s in-house patent counsel; evaluating and discussing the patentability of new projects; drafting and filing patent applications in line with the client’s patent strategy; and managing the client’s patent portfolio
- Key account manager for a Norwegian company in the oil and gas industry
- Expert witness in court cases in Norway. About this role, Mr Woldstad says: "Being an expert witness has given me direct experience of the workings of the legal system. Crucially, it has shown me the importance that even relatively small details of a patent can take during the legal process. This experience has been invaluable in shaping the counsel I give to clients."
Onsagers AS is a leading full-service IP firm and IP strategy adviser in Norway, acting globally with a dedicated international team.
Team of international IP experts in Norway
Onsagers’ dedicated international IP team offers a one-stop-shop approach where attorneys at law and European patent attorneys with extensive international experience work in close collaboration.
Our international team has comprehensive experience in trademark and patent prosecution and enforcement, including customs seizures, passing off and unfair competition cases, as well as trademark and patent infringement and validity cases – some of which have attracted international attention. We will give you the best professional and cost-efficient advice for your intellectual property in Norway.
Our team members have vast experience representing clients before the Norwegian Industrial Property Office (NIPO), as well as at WIPO, the EPO and the Nordic Baltic IP Committees. Our experience ensures up-to-date insight into Norwegian IP practice and efficient advice and best strategy for your IP rights.
Your Norwegian IP partner
- Onsagers is one of the largest, leading and longest-established IP firms in Norway, with over 70 years of practice.
- Onsagers promises to give professional, clear-cut advice with a practical, no-nonsense approach; we dare to say: “GO”/“NO GO”.
Our objective is to be your privileged partner for the protection, management and exploitation of your intellectual property. Through open dialogue and unambiguous advice, combined with modern technology, up-to-date services and a cost-conscious approach, Onsagers offers premium quality IP advice.
Onsagers has a strong position within the Norwegian exports industry and is their preferred choice when it comes to portfolio management. The firm also works with many stock exchange-listed companies.
The firm employs more technical PhD graduates than any other IP law firm in Norway, lending the team in-depth knowledge of the life sciences, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas, and shipping industries.
The life sciences pharma team is headed by Kari Helen Simonsen and consists of both in-house legal pharmaceuticals experts and strong biochemistry patent prosecutors.
The firm also offers strong competence in prosecution before NIPO, employing as it does more former NIPO examiners than any other Norwegian IP firm.
Onsagers also excels in litigation and was part of the team that won the Apple trademark infringement case before the Supreme Court after leading the litigation in the previous court instances.
The Onsagers experts typically work in combined legal and technical teams wherever relevant and especially in infringement matters to ensure that all the strategic sides of the case are covered.
The highly respected and very competent legal-technical team headed by Ulrikke Asbøll and Henrik Rode are special IP advisers to the unicorn and tech company AutoStore, handling and coordinating all IP matters from due diligence investigations to IP strategy, as well as handling and prosecuting patent and trademark applications.
Diversity and corporate social responsibility
Onsagers has a strong focus on diversity and gender equality. The firm has a 50-50 employment rate of women and men. We actively and continuously work to promote and recruit more female partners, with already more than 30% of partners being female – an unusually high percentage in Norway. Some 65% of the board members are female. More than 10% of Onsagers employees are from non-Norwegian origin.
- Association of IP Professionals in Swedish Industry
- European Communities Trademark Association
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property and its Norwegian group NIR
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
- International Institute for IP Management
- Licensing Executives Society
- Norwegian Patent Attorneys Association
- Norwegian Society of Graduate Technical and Scientific Professionals
- Swedish Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property