The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Bronze - Individuals: litigation
Despite some recent personnel losses, Norton Rose Fulbright remains a force to be reckoned with on the IP scene, and the Canada squad makes full use of the group’s international presence to manage portfolios on a global scale and represent life sciences heavyweights in cross-border disputes. For instance, Allyson Whyte Nowak and IAM Patent 1000 newcomer Daniel Daniele have recently been defending Viatris in a claim brought by Pharmascience under the new PM(NOC) regulations; Brian Daley represented FibroGen and its commercial partner, AstraZeneca, in an impeachment action brought by Akebia Therapeutics; and Kristin Wall supported Merck Canada in a judicial review of the Minister of Health’s refusal to issue a supplementary protection certificate. Outside of contentious pharmaceutical mandates, the firm also shines in prosecution, strategy and global portfolio management. Maya Medeiros is the name to note for all computer-related technologies, supporting non-profits and retailers alike with their digital platforms; while Sébastien Clark recently won a proposal presented to Taiga Motors, a company that makes snowmobiles, for the procurement of IP rights. When it comes to patent protection and deal negotiation, national practice head Jung-Kay Chiu makes all the right moves.
Daniel Daniele practises in all areas of IP law, including patents, copyright and trademarks. He is also a member of the Supreme Court of Canada, the appellate advocacy practice team and the recall and crisis management practice team.
Mr Daniele has particular experience in pharmaceutical patent litigation. He has acted for innovative pharmaceutical companies in proceedings under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations, patent infringement actions, patent impeachment actions, Section 8 damages actions and patent infringement damages actions.
Prior to joining our Toronto office, he worked at a national law firm as a summer student in 2009. He then served as a judicial clerk to the Justices of the Court of Appeal for Ontario from 2010-2011.
In law school, Mr Daniele participated in a variety of advocacy competitions and was awarded first place in the Hicks Morley Labour Law Moot. During his studies, he worked as both a research and teaching assistant and volunteered with the Western Business Law Clinic. In the autumn of 2009, he completed an exchange term at Hong Kong University.
Mr Daniele’s undergraduate degree focused on applying engineering principles and design concepts to medicine and biology.
Patents are critical to an organisation’s growth and success. Our Canadian patent team has the technical skills our clients need to achieve optimal patent asset value, from the initial inventor interview and international-grade patent drafting stage, through examination with the patent offices, across any negotiation associated with financing, technology transfer or licensing agreements, right through to the enforcement of IP rights.
What we offer you
- Canadian experience with global reach: As one of Canada’s largest and most respected patent prosecution teams, we are leaders in patent procurement and protection in the Canadian marketplace. Our Canadian team, experienced at filing and prosecuting patent applications in both Canada and the United States, stands out because we have direct access to the talent and resources of our US-based patent team. Our patent applications are prepared for global success in examination. Our strategic and commercially minded approach to patent acquisition and exploitation is replicated globally through our management of a curated international network of patent attorneys who, like us, recognise the business imperative to successfully protect innovation.
- Sector knowledge: We understand your business context. We work with clients across a range of industries including aerospace; agriculture; communications and media; energy; financial institutions; infrastructure; life sciences and healthcare; mining and commodities; transportation; and technology. Our team includes lawyers, patent agents and technical consultants with various engineering and scientific degrees, including several at the PhD level.
- Integrated client team: We understand your business objectives and get to know your company’s unique organisational considerations, so that we effectively align your patent portfolio with your overall strategy, and maximise its value.
- Full-service package: Our patent professionals offer end-to-end service, including:
- evaluating patentability and drafting patent applications that yield enforceable and monetisable patents;
- accessing funding for innovation and patenting costs;
- providing strategic advice on pursuing and securing patent rights globally;
- developing and executing client IP procedures to unlock and preserve the value of innovation;
- coaching technical and business development teams on invention mining and protecting trade secrets;
- guiding negotiations;
- drafting and reviewing agreements to ensure IP rights accrue to our clients;
- evaluating patent risks, opportunities and costs, including:
- assessing product clearance (freedom-to-operate);
- auditing and right-sizing patent portfolios; and
- providing invalidity, infringement and patent landscape opinions;
- navigating the intersection of patent rights with regulatory regimes, for example in data protection and drug pricing; and
- resolving patent disputes by leveraging our extensive practical experience in lawsuit prevention and multijurisdictional litigation.