The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Silver - Individuals: infringement
Competitors single out Arnold Ruess as one of the premier IP boutiques on the German stage. Many landmark cases bear its fingerprints: recent examples include representation in a cross-border infringement suit for Sanofi; a ground-breaking FRAND action for Sisvel – one of the first cases of its kind since the landmark Huawei/ZTE judgment was handed down; and a boundary-crossing connected cars dispute for Nokia, which involved the first instance of an anti-anti-suit injunction in Germany. Leading on the latter two precedent-setting matters is Cordula Schumacher, a “top-rate litigator” whose advice is “clear, pragmatic and realistic”: “She never promises anything that cannot be delivered, but goes above and beyond to get the best possible outcome for her clients. She also understands the client’s commercial goals and adjusts her approach based on feedback.” Spearheading the Sanofi campaign and giving the firm its name is “IP litigation star” Bernhard Arnold: “He is a great counsel to have on your side and manages an efficient team. He is not afraid to come up with creative solutions and is internationally well connected.” A third gladiator in the mix is Arno Riße, whose metier is high-technology litigation; he recently defended US software and hardware player Adtran against a patent infringement claim. “Arno is one of the most outstanding attorneys in his field,” reports one source. “He knows all the tricks of the trade of modern patent litigation. There is hardly a notable patent matter in the German courts which does not name Arnold Ruess on one side of the docket sheet, and most often Arno is one of the attorneys in the trenches.”
Arno Riße is a partner of ARNOLD RUESS, a boutique IP firm in Dusseldorf, Germany. He specialises in IP law, with a focus on national and international patent litigation. He advises clients from four different continents on all technical fields, including telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, chemistry and consumer goods. He has, in particular, broad experience in the high-tech sector (eg, in common technology standards – GSM, UMTS, LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, GDDR, LPDDR and ERPS – and in semiconductor design), and the pharmaceutical and medical device sector (eg, osteoporosis and anti-cancer drugs, human genome nucleic acid probes, knee prosthesis and NIPT), including associated regulatory issues and FRAND.
Before joining ARNOLD RUESS, Dr Riße worked at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer for several years. The Legal 500 praises the “very meticulous” Dr Riße as an “outstanding team player” and “future star”. He is also continuously recommended in the JUVE Handbook.
Dr Riße studied law and philosophy. He holds a law degree and a German SJD (Dr jur) from Munster University, Germany, and an LLM from Auckland University, New Zealand. He gave lectures on European patent law at the International Summer University, Giessen, and was a speaker at the Honourable William C Conner Inn of Court Global Patent Trial, New York, in April 2019; he contributed a chapter on injunctions in Germany to the book Patent Law Injunctions published in late 2018.
Dr Riße speaks German and English.
ARNOLD RUESS is a boutique law firm that specialises in the entire field of intellectual property and has extensive experience in patent litigation. For our clients, we combine the legal excellence developed through many years of experience as IP attorneys working at one of the world’s leading international firms with the personal touch, availability and commitment that a smaller firm can offer. In our view, producing the highest quality legal work and having fun are not mutually exclusive – they are interdependent.
We advise clients, ranging from international corporations and mid-sized companies to innovative start-ups, from all around the world in all IP matters. Our area of expertise covers complex and multi-jurisdictional IP litigation, development of comprehensive IP and advertising strategies, licensing negotiations, M&A support, trademark portfolio management and the like. We have a strong client base in the high-tech, pharmaceutical, medical device, consumer goods and chemical industry sectors.
Our team of dedicated specialists has worked on a multitude of cases, including several groundbreaking decisions which have been widely reported. Our patent litigation experience includes the following:
- Representing a leading pharmaceutical corporation in patent litigation in Germany and coordinating proceedings with 15 other countries. Our global network enables us to provide a one-stop-shop solution with IP specialists individually hand-picked for our every client’s unique needs;
- Shaping FRAND case law by, among other things, obtaining the first two FRAND judgments from the German Federal Court of Justice following the decision of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) in Huawei v ZTE (Sisvel/Haier); we contributed to shaping the courts’ awareness of hold-out tactics by only purportedly willing licensees;
- Being the tip of the spear in the ‘connected car wars’ by representing a global telecommunications client in multiple trial and appeals court cases including a CJEU referral against a global car manufacturer; we gained in-depth knowledge of the automotive industry, its self-image and common negotiation tactics of car original equipment manufacturers and suppliers;
- Levelling the international playing field by obtaining the first-ever German anti-anti suit injunction (AASI) against an attempted foreign anti-suit injunction; this AASI, which was copied in several other jurisdictions within a couple of months, helps to prevent forum-shopping by implementers;
- Establishing pioneering German case law on biosimilars; by representing clients in the first biosimilar patent cases in Germany, we helped ensure that complex biosimilar development is not mistakenly perceived as a ‘common’ generic drug by the German courts;
- Representing the first alternative capsule coffee producer in successful proceedings against Nespresso (trial court and appeals court). We were able to convince the appeal court to change is previous case law, which paved the way for opening the capsule market to competition; and
- Being the exclusive IP counsel for Sony Interactive Entertainment, coordinating patent, trademark, design and copyright issues in Germany.
Notable clients include Sanofi, Nokia, Alcon, Novartis (Hexal), Gruenenthal and Varta.
We are grateful for our clients’ trust and proud of our achievements to serve our clients throughout the past decade. ARNOLD RUESS features in all leading rankings and has won numerous awards for its work in the IP field.
What others say about us
- “Strongly recommended for decisive litigious actions”
- “In particular for difficult patent proceedings where the team meets highest standards in timing and quality”
- “They are creative and go the extra mile”
- “High-quality, successful firm with a very good track record”
- “Team with strength and depth”
- “Extremely able people – there is some excellent young talent at this firm”