The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Gold - Individuals: litigation
Alavi Anaipakos makes its IAM Patent 1000 debut this year and has taken the market by storm since it was established in May 2022. The outfit is valued for its multi-front litigation capabilities, successful global patent protection strategies and exceptional client service. Amir Alavi and Demetrios Anaipakos head the firm and boast an unbeatable level of litigation experience. Alavi is a big-picture thinker with an acute strategic mind. He handles the most complex of IP disputes with dexterity and is a go-to for damages cases. Anaipakos can craft and present bullet-proof trial narratives. He is brilliant at distilling complex concepts into simple terms for the jury and has an impeccable track record when it comes to high-value disputes. Award-winning electrical engineer and IAM Patent 1000 newcomer Masood Anjom is quick to get to grips with the technology at issue and is brilliant at helping customers to achieve their goals. Alavi, Anaipakos and Anjom have recently teamed up with lawyers from Heim, Payne & Chorush to represent Telecom Network Solutions in its ongoing patent enforcement campaign against AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile – the three largest providers of mobile telephone services in the United States. The amount in dispute is estimated to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Scott Clark also makes his first appearance in the guide this year. He knows the patent system inside out and draws on more than 20 years of experience to make all the right strategic plays to bring in important victories for his clientele. He has recently linked up with Alavi to coordinate the defence of Safe Foods against a patent infringement action brought by competitor, Enviro Tech Chemical Services relating to chemical process technology in the food industry.
Amir Alavi of Alavi Anaipakos handles complex commercial litigation worldwide with a particular focus on intellectual property cases. IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals describes him as an “unflappable advocate that you can greenlight for a billion-dollar case with 100% confidence” and a “judicious strategist” with an “acute sense of how to present a damages case.” Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business has recognised him for his intellectual property work.
IAM Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Magazine also said Mr Alavi “is a commercial litigator par excellence with valuable in-house insight, having previously served as general counsel of a company with 5,000 employees. The savvy case handler knows when to take up arms and when to chase a settlement.” They also described him as “someone you can match up against any lawyer in the country and be confident of a win. Drawing on a deep reservoir of trial experience, he delivers knife-like advocacy timed to perfection.”
Mr Alavi is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He has been recognized by attorneys across the country as one of the best lawyers in america for commercial litigation and is AV-rated by Martindale Hubbell. Additionally, Mr Alavi has been consistently recognised on Texas Super Lawyers listing.
His key roles in trial victories include the following.
- Newfield v Tesoro: Mr Alavi represented Newfield Production Company against one of the country’s largest refining companies in a breach of contract dispute involving crude supply contracts. After a lengthy arbitration, Mr Alavi helped Newfield secure a $20 million award while successfully defeating in full a counterclaim for $400 million.
- Rembrandt Wireless Technologies, LP v Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, et al: Mr Alavi and a team of attorneys from Heim, Payne & Chorush won a $15.7 million patent infringement verdict for Rembrandt Wireless. The jury deliberated only one hour before finding that Samsung Electronics infringed two Bluetooth patents owned by Rembrandt.
Alavi Anaipakos is home to a seasoned team of trial lawyers who efficiently handle high-stakes litigation against some of the world's largest law firms. Alavi Anaipakos’ attorneys have more than 150 years of combined experience representing clients in US courts and other legal jurisdictions across the globe. The firm represents plaintiffs and defendants in complex patent, trade secret and patent infringement disputes and significant commercial litigation matters.
Alavi Anaipakos’ lawyers have a long track record of helping IP clients prevail against some of the largest companies in the world. Firm attorneys have won cases against Amazon, Apple, Broadcom, Motorola, LG Electronics, Qualcomm and Samsung, as well as global smartphone giants such as Oppo, Vivo and Xiaomi. Alavi Anaipakos also has handled multi-front litigation on behalf of companies in Germany, China, Japan, England, Brazil, Dubai and other international venues.
Alavi Anaipakos is additionally called on to develop global strategies to protect and monetise clients’ IP interests worldwide. Chambers USA ranked the firm in Band 4 for Intellectual Property among Texas-based law firms in 2022, only weeks after firm founders Amir Alavi and Demetrios Anaipakos launched Alavi &Anaipakos with nine lawyers in late May of the same year.
Alavi Anaipakos also is home to seasoned commercial litigation attorneys who have handled an array of complex business disputes for both plaintiffs and defendants. The firm represents clients ranging from individuals to Fortune 100 companies in a wide variety of industries. The firm’s attorneys have earned well-deserved respect in the legal industry for their trial skills and ability to solve complex problems on favourable terms before trial.
Alavi Anaipakos’ attorneys are known for exceptional results driven by front-line experience and success in hearings and trials. Notably:
- winning a verdict worth multiple hundreds of millions of dollars for a software company in a hotly contested patent infringement lawsuit;
- defeating a claim for hundreds of millions of dollars in arbitration for an energy company over a supply contract with an oil refinery;
- securing summary judgment on a claim for more than $200 million on behalf of an exploration company involving claims related to royalties and working interests in Karnes County, Texas;
- winning a multimillion-dollar verdict for a technology company after only one hour of deliberations in a patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung Electronics;
- winning a multimillion-dollar jury award that represented the full amount requested and future royalties for a small telecommunications company against technology heavyweight Motorola Mobility LLC for patent infringement;
- successfully representing the former employee of an independent oil and gas exploration company in an arbitration seeking to recover the plaintiff’s $60 million ownership interest in various oil and gas properties;
- winning a rare stay of five patent infringement cases before US District Judge Alan Albright, who oversees one of the busiest patent dockets in the United States, based upon post-grant challenges brought by Alavi Anaipakos lawyers on behalf of client G&H Diversified Manufacturing against a patent asserted by DynaEnergetics Europe GmbH and DynaEnergetics US Inc;
- successfully representing limited partners and their limited partnerships in an accounting malpractice claim against the partnership’s auditors;
- securing a multimillion-dollar settlement, including attorneys’ fees, for the former head coach of an National Collegiate Athletic Association Division 1 basketball team in claims against the university’s athletics association and defence of allegations filed by the university;
- successfully representing a leading energy trader and former employee in multimillion-dollar claims against Saracen Energy;
- filing multistate litigation on behalf of a large group of former DHL franchisees in New York, Texas and elsewhere relating to DHL’s decision to discontinue domestic overnight delivery services;
- winning an eight-figure verdict on behalf of a food manufacturer in a tortious interference with a contract case;
- leading and coordinating multiple successful global patent infringement campaigns in Germany, China, the Netherlands, Japan, the United Arab Emirates, Brazil, India and other jurisdictions;
- successfully defending and securing dismissal on behalf of a major energy company in a wrongful death lawsuit that resulted in the client paying nothing;
- successfully handling an arbitration proceeding and related negotiations on behalf of a major energy company with a fleet card provider; and
- successfully representing a major energy company in bankruptcy proceedings contesting the ownership of significant drilling equipment, leases and other assets.