The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Gold - Individuals: litigation
Those who seek top-notch contentious IP services in China should look no further than Fangda Partners. Some of the world’s most valuable tech companies have relied on the group’s IP litigators for years, and with good reason. The 70-strong IP team has continued to pick up some of the most attention-grabbing and high-profile disputes cases at all levels of China’s courts. The rainmaker here is Alexandra (Pu) Yang, whose pristine contentious track record earns the trust of many global tech giants – her team has acted as the exclusive counsel to Apple against Qualcomm in a series of long-running FRAND and patent disputes. Other litigious mavens include Fang Qi, whose work focuses on protecting the technical know-how and inventions of his clientele, navigating regulatory compliance requirements and defending claims of IP infringement.
Alexandra (Pu) Yang is widely regarded as "the" best IP litigator in China. As the consulting expert to the Supreme People's Court's Intellectual Property Research Centre, Ms Yang has extensive knowledge and experience in all areas of IP law, including patents, copyright, trademarks, and trade secrets. She currently leads Fangda's highly respected IP practice, which has been recognised by Chambers as a "China IP Litigation Firm (Band 1)" every year since 2014.
Ms Yang has represented numerous Fortune 500 and leading technology companies in their most significant and high-stakes cases, and her groundbreaking work has furthered the development of IP and competition laws in China.
Ms Yang's landmark patent cases include:
- Lead counsel in Apple v Qualcomm (China cases), widely considered one of the most significant trials of the century;
- Lead counsel in iRobot v Apple, which involved the highest damage claim in history in China, amounting to 10 billion yuan;
- Lead counsel in Eli Lilly v Watson case, the only patent case recognised as a "Guiding Case" by the Supreme People's Court in 2010-2020.
- Lead counsel in NavInfo v Baidu, secured the highest-ever damages award for copyright infringement cases in China, amounting to 64.5 million yuan.
- Lead counsel in Astellas in seven patent infringement cases against 10 Chinese generic drug companies, which contributed to the formation of a patent linkage system in China.
Ms Yang's outstanding work has earned her numerous accolades and recognition from multiple professional directories, including Chambers (Band 1), IAM Patent 1000 (Band 1), WTR (Band 1), Managing IP (Band 1), and Benchmark Litigation (Band 1). Notably, she is the only Chinese lawyer ranked in Band 1 by both IAM for patent litigation and WTR for trademark litigation through 2019 to 2022. Her fierce and proactive advocacy style has won her the praise of both clients and fellow practitioners, with WTR describing her as "the crème de la crème of Chinese IP litigators". The teams she develops always create and execute winning legal strategies that yield outstanding results.