The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Silver - Individuals: infringement
Competitors speak highly of Wildanger as a “strong firm which makes a good impression in court hearings”. It has carved a notable niche representing SEP owners, but disputes of every flavour are handled with finesse by its supremely capable, diversely qualified team of 13 lawyers. Spearheading the group’s SEP efforts is Peter-Michael Weisse, who was behind some of the first post-Huawei v ZTE judgments and played a key role obtaining the first German anti-anti-suit injunction against a Chinese anti-suit injunction. Also working in this space is Alexander Reetz, who joined the partnership in 2019 and regularly appears in cross-border disputes with FRAND licensing implications; and Joerg Schmidt, an IP all-rounder who is especially noted for his facility for SEP-related telecommunications suits and thriving medical technology practice. Roland Kehrwald and Eva Geschke are similarly versatile: 30-year veteran Kehrwald advises and litigates across the IT, genetic engineering and medical technology sectors; while Geschke has a wealth of scientific know-how and is hailed by peers as “a strong litigator who knows what she’s doing”. Also with broad horizons, but with a focus on the biotechnology and pharmaceutical spheres, is Wolf Graf von Schwerin, who has litigated countless consequential cross-border cases throughout his career, including many which have resulted in landmark decisions.
Alexander Reetz specialises in all aspects of patent law and technical copyright law. He has specific expertise in all aspects of IP litigation – namely, representation in infringement and nullity/opposition/cancellation proceedings, coordination of patent disputes and cross-border work, evidentiary seizures, border seizures and enforcement counter-measures.
Dr Reetz has represented and advised numerous clients in highly litigious matters relating to SEPs and non-SEPs over the past decade (mobile networks, connected cars) and advises on SEP strategy in the field of smart grids. His litigation experience extends to various other fields of technology and includes litigation involving mobile dating and gaming platforms, activity tracking, medical devices and wearables, semiconductors and electronics, robotics and mechanical engineering.
JUVE German Commercial Law Firms Handbook (2020) lists Dr Reetz as “often recommended” (with competitors describing him as “first-rate”, “an excellent addition to the firm” and “a lawyer you can rely on”); he is recognised as a “Patent star” in MIP’s IP Stars (2020-2021) and as a leading patent professional in IAM Patent 1000 (2020-2021); he has also been listed as a recommended attorney for intellectual property in Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers for several years (2015-2021). IAM Patent 1000 Top Professionals 2019 states: “Alexander Reetz brings a wealth of FRAND knowledge to the table and looks set to be a client magnet for years to come”. WirtschaftsWoche (2019) lists Dr Reetz as a “highly recommended attorney for patent litigation”.
Dr Reetz studied law in Cologne (Germany), Aberdeen (United Kingdom) and Stellenbosch (South Africa). He received his doctorate degree from the University of Cologne for a fundamental rights dogmatic study of the law and history governing university inventors and earned a master’s from the University of Aberdeen. He was admitted to the Bar in 2008. Dr Reetz was a senior member (counsel) of the Dusseldorf patent litigation practice of Hogan Lovells before he joined Wildanger in January 2019 as a partner.
Dr Reetz is a member of the German Association for Intellectual Property and Copyright and the German group of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights.
Wildanger Kehrwald Graf von Schwerin & Partners mbB is one of the oldest and most prominent German IP litigation firms in Germany and can rely on decades of experience. Wildanger has an outstanding position in the field of patent litigation and is well known for its drive and extraordinarily high standards. Wildanger has 13 truly specialised attorneys in IP litigation – among them nine partners. The firm’s international and national clients always receive the same level of dedication and individual attention.
Wildanger has a remarkable and most successful track record in SEP enforcement and licensing, as well as in handling any sort of IP litigation across industries at any level of complexity.
The firm was already focused on IP law when it was taken over in 1967 by Günther Wildanger, one of Germany’s best-known patent litigation attorneys. This take-over played a decisive role in establishing Dusseldorf as a leading jurisdiction for patent and utility model litigation. A very high number of leading German decisions in the field of IP law, in particular patent law, involved cases handled by Wildanger.
All partners have set themselves apart in their own personal ways through their outstanding work, expertise and experience. They hold themselves to extremely high standards, making the firm the first choice for IP litigation and advice among national and international clients of any size. The close-knit team of internationally experienced attorneys works closely together, sharing their knowledge and expertise – with effective results. The firm’s team is freely scalable to also handle large and complex litigation.
- Patents and utility models – infringement proceedings, nullity and opposition proceedings; freedom-to-operate analyses; collecting evidence: inspection proceedings; SEPs and FRAND; disputes on inventor’s rights; licence agreements, R&D contracts, transfer of intellectual property
- Employee inventions – assignments, remuneration, incentive systems, university inventions, in-house trainings
- Trademarks – enforcement and exploitation of trademarks, company names and indications of geographical origin; representation in infringement and cancellation proceedings; border seizures; preservation of evidence orders; licensing
- Designs – infringement proceedings; revocation/deletion proceedings; border seizures; preservation of evidence; licensing
- Unfair competition law –passing off; reputation exploitation; reputation damage/degradation; unfair advertising; preliminary injunctions
- Trade secret protection – infringement proceedings; protective measures
Wildanger’s national and international clients come from a wide range of industries, among them global players, small and medium-sized enterprises and start-up companies. Wildanger serves companies in new technology fields, such as biochemistry, software, information technology, semiconductor technology and telecoms, as well as in classic areas, including pharmaceuticals, chemicals, engineering, automotive, medical technologies, consumables, electronics and electrical engineering.
- JUVE German Commercial Law Firms frequently lists Wildanger as top-tier law firm for patent litigation in Germany.
- JUVE German Commercial Law Firms (2020/2021) lists Roland Kehrwald and Peter-Michael Weisse among the top 14 senior advisers in patent litigation in Germany and Eva Geschke among the top nine leading advisers under 50.
- Chambers Europe 2021 writes about the firm “Clients regard the team as ‘one of the best patent litigation teams in Germany.’”.
- IAM Global Leaders recommands two Wildanger partners from Germany (Wolf Graf von Schwerin and Mr Weisse).
- Managing Intellectual Property recognises five partners as “Patent stars 2020/2021”.
- Dr Kehrwald is one of only five lawyers inducted into The Legal 500 Hall of Fame for patent litigation in Germany.
Working languages include English, French and German.