The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Silver - Firms: infringement
SEP disputes are Wildanger’s metier but by no means its limit, with the firm handling disputes of almost every kind within the past 12 months – and always to a high standard. “Wildanger is extremely responsive, knows the technology cold and manages litigation with precision.” One key SEP case of late has been its representation of Sharp in proceedings against Daimler, which has been deftly handled by a team including Peter-Michael Weisse and Alexander Reetz – patrons confirm that Weisse “does an outstanding job of formulating substantive arguments and drafting papers”, while FRAND licensing maven Reetz has been credited with having “a very high technical understanding”. “He undertakes to learn the patent at a level not usually undertaken by outside counsel and this provides the patent owner with confidence to make the correct decisions.” Also adept at SEP work is Joerg Schmidt, who excels in both the telecommunications and medical technology spaces, while Roland Kehrwald – who has three decades of litigation experience – pairs his medical technology work with a thriving IT practice. Similarly experienced is Wolf Graf von Schwerin, who has been involved in myriad significant decisions, especially in the healthcare space. Eva Geschke also litigates in the life sciences realm, but is equally capable in the engineering and telecoms spaces – whatever the technical area, she shows strong scientific understanding and legal nous. Joining this group in the IAM Patent 1000 in 2022 is Ole Dirks, whose clients agree he deserves credit: “Ole focuses on infringement matters and refrains from telling the client what they might want to hear, instead counselling on the far more important issue of what the other side will argue. He excels at dissembling complex issues and digesting such into explanations that a German judge can understand and embrace.”
Wildanger Kehrwald Graf von Schwerin & Partners mbB is one of the oldest and most prominent German IP litigation firms in Germany and can rely on decades of experience. Wildanger has an outstanding position in the field of patent litigation and is well known for its drive and extraordinarily high standards. Wildanger has 13 truly specialised attorneys in IP litigation – among them nine partners. The firm’s international and national clients always receive the same level of dedication and individual attention.
Wildanger has a remarkable and most successful track record in SEP enforcement and licensing, as well as in handling any sort of IP litigation across industries at any level of complexity.
The firm was already focused on IP law when it was taken over in 1967 by Günther Wildanger, one of Germany’s best-known patent litigation attorneys. This take-over played a decisive role in establishing Düsseldorf as a leading jurisdiction for patent and utility model litigation. A very high number of leading German decisions in the field of IP law, in particular patent law, involved cases handled by Wildanger.
All partners have set themselves apart in their own personal ways through their outstanding work, expertise and experience. They hold themselves to extremely high standards, making the firm the first choice for IP litigation and advice among national and international clients of any size. The close-knit team of internationally experienced attorneys works closely together, sharing their knowledge and expertise – with effective results. The firm’s team is freely scalable to also handle large and complex litigation.
- Patents and utility models – infringement proceedings, nullity and opposition proceedings; freedom-to-operate analyses; collecting evidence; inspection proceedings; SEPs and FRAND; disputes on inventor’s rights; licence agreements, R&D contracts, transfer of intellectual property
- Employee inventions – assignments, remuneration, incentive systems, university inventions, in-house trainings
- Trademarks – enforcement and exploitation of trademarks, company names and indications of geographical origin; representation in infringement and cancellation proceedings; border seizures; preservation of evidence orders; licensing
- Designs – infringement proceedings; revocation/deletion proceedings; border seizures; preservation of evidence; licensing
- Unfair competition law –passing off; reputation exploitation; reputation damage/degradation; unfair advertising; preliminary injunctions
- Trade secret protection – infringement proceedings; protective measures
Wildanger’s national and international clients come from a wide range of industries, among them global players, small and medium-sized enterprises and start-up companies. Wildanger serves companies in new technology fields, such as biochemistry, software, information technology, semiconductor technology and telecoms, as well as in classic areas, including pharmaceuticals, chemicals, engineering, automotive, medical technologies, consumables, electronics and electrical engineering.
- JUVE German Commercial Law Firms frequently lists Wildanger as top-tier law firm for patent litigation in Germany
- JUVE Awards 2021 recognised Wildanger as Law Firm of the Year Patents
- JUVE German Commercial Law Firms (2021) lists Eva Geschke, Roland Kehrwald and Peter-Michael Weisse among the top senior advisers in patent litigation in Germany
- Chambers Europe 2021 writes about the firm: “Clients regard the team as ‘one of the best patent litigation teams in Germany’.”
- IAM Global Leaders recommends two Wildanger partners from Germany (Wolf Graf von Schwerin and Mr Weisse), while IAM Patent 1000 list six Wildanger individuals
- Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars lists Wildanger as a Ranked Firm 2021 and recognises four partners as Patent Stars 2021 and one partner as IP Star 2021
- Dr Kehrwald is one of only five lawyers inducted into The Legal 500’s Hall of Fame for patent litigation in Germany.
Working languages include English, French and German.