The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Recommended - Firms: prosecution
SS Rana & Co has two ISO certificates – ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 27001:2013 – to vouch for its high quality of work. Aside from the popular jurisdictions like the United States, Europe and East Asia, the outfit offers patent filings in countries such as Bhutan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. Managing partner Vikrant Rana has over 20 years of experience and is the name to have on speed dial.
SS Rana & Co, established in 1989, is a leading full-service IP and corporate law firm with a well-established and highly recognised IP law practice in India.
The firm’s team consists of over 75 professionals (including patent professionals), eight partners and a total staff of more than 170.
Its clients include more than 1,500 Indian companies, Fortune 500 corporations, multinationals, start-ups and grass root innovators across industries as varied as aviation, automobile, bio medical, pharmaceutical, consumer goods, real estate, information technology and technology, e-commerce, heavy machinery, media and entertainment, sports and gaming, electronic and communication, mobile computing and the Internet of Things, hospitality, fast-moving consumer goods, luxury goods and education – among others. The firm assists its clients in drafting, filing and prosecuting IP applications, as well as successfully securing their IP rights in India, the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation countries and globally.
Managing partner Vikrant Rana is registered as an IP facilitator with the Indian Patent Office and has assisted several start-ups with the filing and prosecution of their IP rights in India.
SS Rana & Co has been retained by several technical universities, design institutes, government and private institutions, as well as innovation foundations for advising, filing and enforcing their IP rights including patents, trademarks, copyright and designs in India.
Government and international organisations and universities, including the Technology Information Forecasting and Assessment Council, the Indian Space Research Organisation, the Department of Science and Technology, the Patent Facilitating Centres, the Patent Information Centres, the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry, the Ministry of Small-scale Industries, the Confederation of Indian Industry, WIPO, the Energy and Resources Institute, IIM Ahmedabad and Banaras Hindu University, frequently invite the firm’s partners and associates as panellists or to share their thought on myriad IP matters at conferences and seminars conducted by these organisations.
Holding both an ISO 27001:2013 certification (Global Standard for Information Security Management System) and an ISO 9001:2015 certification (Global Standard for Quality Management Principles) forms the foundation of the firm’s quality promise to its clients.
- Searching, drafting, filing, prosecuting, renewing and maintaining trademark, patent, design, copyright and geographical indication applications
- Patent drafting, patentability searches (freedom to operate, prior art, landscape), pre and post-grant opposition, rectification and invalidation
- Brand protection, watch, enforcement actions, border measures, IP audits, licensing, franchising, acquisitions
- Cancellations, recovery and acquisition of domain names (actions through the .IN Dispute Resolution Policy and UDRP)
- IP enforcement actions, civil and criminal raids, custom and border seizures, commercial litigation, alternate dispute resolution, banking and insolvency, insurance and consumer matters, legal metrology (packaging and labelling) and food safety, service matters, real estate, construction and energy disputes
- Company law and compliance, labour and employment law, information technology (cyber security, data privacy, etc), environmental law, competition law, policy framing, dispute management, business licences (BSI, ISI, FSSAI, health), contract and negotiations, gaming law, e-commerce, food law, consumer law, taxation, banking, foreign direct investment, M&As
In addition to having a thought leadership team, the firm’s dedication to research has been instrumental in creating thought leadership in various areas of law and public policy. Through research, the firm develops intellectual capital and leverages it actively for both our clients and the development of its associates. The firm’s website, accessible at https://ssrana.in/, is a window to legal developments covering myriad subjects of law and judicial decisions.
Awards and accolades
- WTR 1000 – Recommended Firm for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Managing Intellectual Property’ World IP Survey 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020 – IP Star
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 – Leading Firm
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2012, 2013, 2014, 2019, 2020 – Leading Firm
- IAM Patent 1000 – Recommended Firm – 2020 and 2021 editions
- ‘Excellent Contribution in the Field of Patents’ by Social Talks – SS Rana & Co, 2020
- ‘Excellent Leadership in the Field of Patents’ by Social Talks – Vikrant Rana, 2020
- India Business Law Journal’s A Star List – Leading Individual – Vikrant Rana, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021
- ‘IP Gems of India 2019’ and ‘IP Excellence in India 2019’ at the Questel IP Executive Summit – awarded to Vikrant Rana and SS Rana & Co, 2019
- Kaizen Competition Award, 2019 in Service Sector Organisation by the Confederation of Indian Industry – SS Rana & Co