The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Gold - Firms: litigation
Recommended - Firms: prosecution
Recommended - Firms: transactions
A stalwart of the Israeli patent landscape, the Reinhold Cohn Group – a synergistic combination of law firm (Gilat, Bareket & Co) and patent attorney firm (Reinhold Cohn & Partners) – is an elite IP player with the talent and resources to handle the most demanding patent matters. Zooming in on the litigation practice, the outfit has a lengthy and confidence-giving track record of success in benchmark cases. Responsible for many of its most momentous wins, David Gilat and Eran Bareket both litigate across the IP spectrum with poise and are hailed for their adept handling of multi-jurisdictional cases. Gilat maintains a vibrant life sciences practice and is currently representing Allergan in an opposition filed by Teva Pharmaceuticals. Bareket’s recent work includes acting for Amgen in defending an opposition filed by Sanofi against Amgen’s patent protecting its hyperlipidemia drug Repatha – an intricate matter in connection with which US infringement litigation and EPO oppositions are taking place in parallel, and one that was transferred to the firm from another counsel. He has also been selected to represent the Civil Enforcement Unit of Israel’s Ministry of Justice in service inventions disputes. Always looking to add value, the firm maintains a partnership with Woodsford, a global leader in litigation and arbitration funding, which is a boon to clients needing extra financial support for infringement matters. Turning to prosecution, the names to know are senior partners Ena Pugatsch, Tamar Morag-Sela and Ehud Hausman. Co-head of the technology department Pugatsch produces meticulous work and is intimately involved with her clients at a global strategic level. With a niche in food technology, “extremely committed” life sciences and chemistry leader Morag-Sela i stands out for “the exceptional quality of her work and the excellent outcomes she achieves. She takes care to align her IP approaches with clients’ business plans” and, as a measure of her value, participates in client board meetings and strategic decision-making processes. Captain of the high-technology department Hausman acts for Israel Aerospace Industries and subsidiary Elta Systems – two of the largest employers in Israel and key players in the development of military and commercial defence technologies. For transactional assignments, Daphna Gilat is the go-to: the clever negotiator has got signatures on the bottom line of all kinds of technology and IP-driven deals.
Reinhold Cohn Group (RCG) is the oldest and leading IP consulting firm in Israel. RCG offers a full breadth of IP-related services and expertise, including protection, asset management, due diligence, litigation and legal services. The firm operates in all areas of intellectual property such as patents, trademarks, designs, copyright, open source and plant breeders’ rights.
The group includes the patent attorneys firm Reinhold Cohn & Partners and the law firm Gilat, Bareket & Co.
The synergy of patent attorneys experienced in a diverse range of technological and scientific disciplines working alongside legal professionals creates a unique and effective platform for maximising the value of a client’s IP assets by securing optimal protection.
RCG employs over 200 professionals, out of which over 50 are patent attorneys and attorneys at law.
RCG and its team are internationally renowned for excellence and are continually ranked in the top tiers in leading international and local guides such as Managing Intellectual Property, Chambers & Partners, The Legal 500, WTR 1000, IAM 300, IAM 1000, Who’s Who Legal, Expert Guides, D&B Israel and BDI.
The law firm of Gilat, Bareket & Co is a leading IP firm in Israel, specialising in litigation and legal protection of rights in patents, technology, brands, designs, creative works and inventions.
With years of professional experience, Gilat, Bareket & Co garners recognition for successfully litigating landmark cases and representing domestic and international clients. The firm’s areas of expertise include patent and trademark litigation, protection of designs and copyright, and structuring and negotiating IP-related contracts and transactions. The firm helps its customers with R&D and licence agreements, knowledge acquisition and technology transfer agreements and agreements vis-à-vis collective rights management societies. The firm also provides a service of enforcement of brand owners’ rights to prevent import and distribution of counterfeits and imitations. Other areas of expertise include investment agreements, obtaining financing from the governmental Office of the Chief Scientist and other institutional investors, non-disclosure agreements, distribution agreements, internet law and strategic cooperation with foreign companies.
In addition, the firm provides general legal assistance in other fields – for example, company law, competition law, antitrust and property law – and successfully represents clients before the courts in Israel and before the Patents, Designs and Trademarks Registrar.
Gilat, Bareket & Co employs 17 attorneys at law, several of whom also hold academic degrees in sciences. Extensive legal knowledge and experience, as well as technological and scientific insight, enable Gilat, Bareket & Co to offer an effective and optimal legal protection strategy which considers each client’s IP assets in light of its business strategy in general.
- Life sciences and chemistry handles inventions in a wide spectrum of fields: biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical compositions and equipment, molecular biology, organic and inorganic chemistry, agriculture, nanotechnology, biochemistry, pharmacology, food technology, diagnostics and green-tech and related fields.
- Hi-tech operates in a wide range of technologies including computers (hardware and software) and computer-based inventions, electrical engineering and electronics, electro-optics, cellular technology, databases, multi and digital media, integrated systems and processes, semiconductor devices and related processes, communications and telecommunications, Internet, computer-based business methods and storage.
- Mechanics and technology handles inventions in the fields of mechanics and engineering. The departments specialises in various engineering domains such as mechanical engineering, automotive, aerospace, maritime, materials and agriculture. Other areas of expertise are optics, medical devices and equipment, agricultural and water technologies, consumer products, packaging and handling of merchandise and materials, military technologies and dentistry.
- Physics handles inventions in the fields of optics, electro-optics, acoustics, electrical engineering, optical communication, optical and electronic information storage, semiconductor-based technologies, medical devices and nanotechnology, among others.
- Trademarks provides strategic and legal counselling relating to selection of trademarks and their proper use, planning, implementation and management of international trademark portfolios for local and international clients. The department conducts searches to ascertain the degree of freedom to operate, provides opinions regarding availability for use and inherent registrability. It handles trademark filing, prosecution and registration, as well as domain name registration, drafts trademark-related agreements and maintains worldwide trademark watches.