The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Gold - Firms: litigation
Recommended - Firms: transactions
A go-to for patent disputes in Switzerland, Meyerlustenberger Lachenal has “an extremely strong team which makes valuable contributions to technical analyses and takes a creative approach to litigation strategy. They do a fantastic job in the pharmaceutical industry, especially for innovator companies, as they understand the local regulatory environment and its interface with the law exceptionally well”. Testament to this is its recent representation of Gilead in a widely publicised, multi-jurisdictional dispute against Mepha concerning Gilead’s SPC. Here, the innovative and compelling arguments presented by Simon Holzer and Michael Ritscher resulted in the successful defence and enforcement of the SPC, making Switzerland the only country in which this has been achieved. “One of the country’s finest”, Holzer is a first choice for life sciences cases: “He is client driven, committed and thoughtful, gets long-lasting and reliable results and is great to work with.” Consummate litigator Ritscher “knows everyone worth knowing on the local and European markets. He is accessible, easy to collaborate with and his guidance is always carefully considered”. The pair also link up with Kilian Schärli and Ulrike Ciesla to represent AstraZeneca across all of its Swiss patent matters. “Young, dynamic and bright” lawyer Schärli is “one of the best team mates you could think of. He is a focused and clear-cut adviser who always keeps clients’ business goals in mind”. Patent attorney Ciesla brings extra strength and depth to the firm’s offering: “She rapidly gets an insight into each case she works on, researches comprehensively and provides thorough advice on the best route forward, along with its pros and cons. She gives businesses the confidence and motivation to succeed.” The firm also recently welcomed Christian Fischer to the fold. An authority in the telecommunications sector, he was previously head of patents at Swisscom: “He is great at pinpointing weaknesses and inaccuracies when analysing technical arguments, presents arguments in a way that is easy to follow and does not shy away from challenging opinions that are not backed by clear facts.”
Meyerlustenberger Lachenal Ltd (MLL) is one of the most reputable international business law firms in Switzerland. Its over 110 experienced and dynamic lawyers form a strong team of specialists that stand for innovative and solution-focused services. With offices in Zurich, Geneva, Zug and Lausanne, the firm is present in the key Swiss economic centres. MLL also has a China desk, a Latin American desk and a Turkey desk for clients with interests involving these regions. The firm advises discerning clients on all issues relating to national and international commercial law and represents their interests before all Swiss courts and authorities, as well as in arbitration proceedings.
Dedicated full-service IP practice
MLL brings talent, expertise and solution-based teamwork to all IP issues. The members of the IP team rank among the leaders in IP law and have vast experience, primarily in Swiss but also in EU and German law. The firm’s IP specialists have extensive and wide-ranging experience in enforcing trademarks, copyright, designs and patents. The team also offers prosecution services for trademarks, designs and domain names, together with strategic advice and consultation on contracts, including antitrust matters. MLL is a one-stop shop for all IP-related matters (excluding patent applications).
Trademarks, designs and unfair competition
MLL performs the full range of trademark, design and domain name-related services in Switzerland and abroad, including registering, enforcing, opposing and defending these rights. MLL has broad experience in the management of large portfolios and in counterfeiting cases.
The firm can also assist:
- in finding solutions under the new Swissness legislation (legal criteria regulating the use of Swiss goods and services);
- in developing and implementing trademark and design protection strategies;
- with litigation before all Swiss courts and authorities and coordination of international disputes;
- with IP-related arbitration (including domain name dispute arbitration);
- with the comprehensive management of entire IP portfolios;
- with unfair competition, design, trade dress and counterfeiting disputes;
- with the support of creative and design-focused companies, in particular advertising agencies, manufacturers of design products and photographers; and
- in providing sophisticated advice in the growing field of geographical indications.
Patents and the health industry
MLL’s patent litigation team has outstanding expertise and experience in managing complex patent matters nationally, as well as in multiple jurisdictions, litigating before all Swiss courts and coordinating cross-border patent litigation. Advising and representing pharmaceutical companies in regulatory issues is also a primary team focus.
Copyright, technology, media and telecommunications
MLL has been providing support and advice to technology companies and enterprises in the media and telecommunication industries for many years. The team at MLL is also recognised by clients and peers as leading specialists in the area of privacy and data protection in Switzerland. The firm’s clients benefit from the team’s understanding of data protection laws in combination with their knowledge on the digitalisation of business activities and its legal and operative impacts. The firm’s services comprise the following:
- consulting software developers and IT service providers, as well as the users of such products and services (eg, outsourcing and IT security);
- data protection topics in connection with software and mobile applications and cloud computing;
- consulting media companies active in the classic media sector (eg, print, radio and television) and the new online media sector;
- supporting telecommunications companies in solving problems and exploiting the opportunities offered by the convergence of fixed-line networks, mobile radio communications and the Internet;
- reviewing technology-focused due diligence;
- assisting with the financing, marketing and sale of technology-based solutions, technology-centric media and telecommunications companies; and
- assisting with the exchange of technology, in particular through licences and R&D agreements.
MLL’s working languages include German, English, French and Spanish. Some of the firm’s professionals are also fluent in Italian and Portuguese.