The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Bronze - Firms
“Reliable, responsive, and capable of providing full-IP services with practical solutions at reasonable costs”, general legal practice Bross & Partners is gaining momentum in the Vietnamese IP sphere. With a newly opened office in Danang — alongside its Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi outposts — it is now excellently positioned to handle the increasing demand across the whole country. Founder Le Quang Vinh leads the compact squad to represent major domestic and foreign players: he has recently filed patent applications for Korean firms Seoul Semiconductor and Seoul Viosys and undertaken extensive prosecution work on behalf of a top European technology company. On the litigation front, Vinh is defending a VR500 enterprise, PCC1, in an infringement case regarding aluminium cables. One source enthuses: “Le Quang Vinh has rich experience in all IP fields and is an insightful problem solver.”
Established in 2008, Bross & Partners has since been recognised by peers and clients as one of most reputable IP law firms in Vietnam. In 2021, Bross & Partners was listed among the top 10 trademark filers and top 30 patent filers before the Intellectual Property Office of Vietnam (VNIPO). We are proud to have built an adroit team of more than 30 lawyers, technical experts, engineers and paralegals managed by seven partners. Our patent practice includes advising on and delivering high-quality Vietnamese translations thanks to our team of technical experts, each with expertise in different technical fields ranging from telecommunication, biology, engineering and chemistry to electricity, mechanical and pharmacy. With our diverse backgrounds and experiences, Bross & Partners also offers a vibrant and inclusive workplace where everyone is respected and appreciated for their ideas and contributions.
In addition to being recommended as a Tier 1 firm by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Bross & Partners also features in WTR 1000, IAM 1000, IP Stars, Benchmark Litigation, AsiaLaw Profiles, AsiaLaw and Asian Legal Business.
WTR 1000 wrote, among other things, that “Bross & Partners garners excellent reviews” because “the team is approachable, communicates clearly and understands how to take the pressure off you when faced with stressful situations. It handles matters with a personal touch and provides all the guidance you need – including accurate advice around outcomes – to make sound branding decisions”. WTR 1000 added that “the highly reputed full-service firm has devoted significant energy to developing its IP practice over the years and is a reliable ally for Vietnamese and foreign companies when it comes to complex, cross-border IP matters”.
Main professional services
- Advising, filing and prosecuting application for registration of patent (including Vietnamese translation of PCT and non-PCT applications), layout design, industrial designs, trademark, plant varieties, copyright and related rights
- Representing clients to resolve IP disputes, handling infringement of trademark, counterfeit goods, design, patent, copyright by civil, administrative and even criminal measures
- Consulting on and drafting licence, assignment, technology transfer and franchise agreements regarding intellectual property
- Counselling and supporting clients to protect and enforce their IP rights in foreign countries
- Advising and acting for IP stakeholders to recover generic top-level domain or country-code top-level domain through arbitration proceedings, including those under the UDRP proceeding.
- Acting for a Vietnamese company in a Hanoi court against a US company’s patent infringement allegation claiming the highest-ever damages of nearly US$5 million
- In cooperation with a US law firm, securing a victory in opposition proceedings before the USPTO’s TTAB in 2021 against a Korean trademark squatter in relation to the renowned brand Pho Thin 13 Lo Duc, which is highly appraised by CNN.
- Successfully representing a large Vietnam bank in a UDRP domain name dispute before the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre
- Defending a client against the plaintiff’s copyright infringement accusation claiming a record damage of nearly US$2 million in a Ho Chi Minh City court
- Successfully registering 3D trademarks and enforcing them in Vietnam
- In partnership with a Chinese law firm, acting and securing an important decision at the Trademark Adjudication Board in an invalidation case against the mark G7 COFFEE, which had been illegally registered in China
- Acting in patent invalidation proceedings for a utility solution before the VNIPO
- Representing a small Vietnamese game development company in a copyright infringement claim made by a Chinese online game producer on the App Store
- Advising on the neighbouring right issues in the broadcasting agreement regarding the UEFA champion league in Vietnam
- In partnership with a Thai law firm, successfully representing a Vietnamese fertiliser company against a well-known trademark-based opposition by a Thai renown energy drink company
- Successfully represented a renowned fried shrimp powder producer before the People’s Court of Hanoi, precluding the defendant from using Dong Tien (Coin) as a tradename and trademark due to IP infringement.