The Patent 1000 focuses exclusively on patent practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal patent expertise.
Silver - Firms: litigation
AZA is perfectly in step with its clients’ objectives, works relentlessly to achieve them, and has a superb track record of trial wins to show for it. Perceptive trial lawyer, Todd Mensing digs deep into the details and leaves no stone unturned to successfully pick apart the opposition’s case. Making his first IAM Patent 1000 appearance this year, Jason McManis adapts to changing circumstances with alacrity and is often brought in to take over cases from previous counsel. He easily resonates with a jury through distilling down complex technical details and understands the finer details of patent law to steer a case in his favour.
The IAM Patent 1000 has ranked Ahmad, Zavitsanos & Mensing – AZA among the best Texas patent litigation firms for seven consecutive years and named AZA partners among the best Texas patent litigators:
AZA’s IP group is also ranked by Chambers USA 2021 as among the best Texas firms for intellectual property and patent work. Chambers USA said AZA is a:
respected Houston-based litigation boutique with notable expertise advising clients involved in high-stakes IP disputes. Offers particular expertise handling complex patent infringement litigation, including at trial, for clients from a wide range of industries, including technology and oil and gas.
IPR Intelligence Report by Patexia Inc has named AZA the 12th best-performing law firm in the country in a study of more than 1,100 law firms active in inter partes review patent cases over the past five years.
AZA lawyers have experienced great success representing clients in IP and IP-related cases throughout the world, including Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We regularly handle patent infringement, trademark, copyright and trade secret cases. Languages spoken by IP team members include Arabic, Cantonese, Farsi, French, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Urdu and Hindi.
Our patent lawyers have experience in numerous industry sectors, including energy, technology, chemistry, biochemistry, telecommunications, hardware and software, and transportation. We have successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in IP cases.
AZA’s IP team includes experienced trial lawyers and lawyers with technical backgrounds in chemistry, electrical engineering, software and biochemistry.
We also have lawyers who focus on trademark, copyright and trade secret cases. We have seen an uptick in trade secret cases, especially in the energy sector, and have handled them successfully both for companies claiming theft and for executives defending against a claim. We have also defeated trademark infringement claims and steadfastly protected trademarks and copyright for our clients.
What’s been said about AZA’s IP team
- “We dominated in that courtroom 100% of the time and that is something I have never seen before. So happy with the result” – senior vice president of international technology company
- “There are a number of well-reputed IP firms in North America. But, if you want a true partner that can deliver a viable IP strategy and litigation expertise that ensures concrete results, you need to engage AZA. Unlike other law firms, AZA is a business and IP strategic partner – they are smart, aggressive, efficient and strategic. AZA is our go-to trial firm” – CEO of an international music and media provider
- “Your team has incredible talent and intelligence, as well as know-how and finesse in court” – PhD inventor on numerous patents
- AZA is trial and IPR counsel for LoganTree LP in several patent infringement lawsuits, including against Apple Inc. (N.D. Cal.) and Fossil Group (D. Del.). The cases involve foundational technology for fitness activity watches that have become ubiquitous in today’s world. AZA was hired one week before the Markman hearing against Fossil and won a complete across-the-board victory against a highly ranked, national firm. The case against Fossil is anticipated to be trial ready by the fourth quarter of 2023.
- SandBox Logistics, LLC v. Proppant Express Investments, LLC. AZA’s client, fracking company Liberty Oilfield Services, was sued for over $50 million for patent infringement. The plaintiff alleged Liberty stole revolutionary oilfield logistical technology and used an affiliate to accomplish this theft. The parties took thirty depositions and designated ten experts. Six weeks before trial the plaintiff dropped the case against Liberty. Liberty paid nothing.
- AZA is leading a patent licensing campaign for a financial services company and payment processor processing more than $2 billion in transactions annually.
- DynaEnergetics v. NexTier Oilfield Solutions. AZA defended NexTier against patent infringement claims for potentially millions of dollars in damages brought by DynaEnergetics. AZA achieved institution of an IPR against DynaEnergetics’s patents and won a very rare stay of litigation pending resolution of the IPR in the Western District of Texas. The IPR resulted in the cancellation of all asserted claims in early 2023.