at De Clercq & Partners
Koen Vanhalst is a partner at De Clercq & Partners, an established firm of experienced IP professionals in Belgium.
Mr Vanhalst holds a PhD in Biotechnology from the University of Ghent (Belgium). Prior to joining De Clercq & Partners, Mr Vanhalst worked as an examiner in the European Patent Office (The Hague branch), involved in both search and substantive examination of patent applications in the field of Biotechnology in general and Medical Diagnostics in particular.
Mr Vanhalst is a qualified European and Belgian patent attorney with extensive patent practice experience in all areas of life sciences including biotechnology, chemistry and pharmaceuticals.
His areas of practice include:
- Drafting, filing and prosecution of Belgian, European and PCT patent applications
- Drafting and prosecution of national patent applications
- Oppositions and appeal proceedings before the EPO
- Oral proceedings before the EPO in examination and opposition
- Validations of European patents in Belgium
- Filing and prosecuting SPC’s in Belgium and advising on SPC’s in general
- Legal IP advice on Belgian patents
- Acting as an expert for the Belgian courts in descriptive seizure proceedings
- Acting as an expert in litigation before Belgian civil courts in IP matters
- Opinions regarding patentability, freedom to operate, infringement and validity of IP rights
- IP due diligence Portfolio management, advice and strategy
- General strategic and legal advice in IP matters
Mr Vanhalst often lectures at conferences and is a member of EPI, LES and AIPPI. He is a member of the Belgian Council for Intellectual Property, appointed by the Federal Government. Within the Belgian group of AIPPI, Mr Vanhalst is a council member.
Since 2015, Mr Vanhalst is a guest professor at Ghent University, where he lectures Intellectual Property to Masters students in (Plant) Biotechnology.
- Council member within the Belgian group of AIPPI
- Member of the Belgian Council for Intellectual Property, appointed by the Federal Government EPI
De Clercq & Partners
Edgard Gevaertdreef 10A
See firm profile