at Clyde & Co
Elliot Papageorgiou provides business-centric IP advice to international clients on both contentious and non-contentious IP issues, with a special focus on IP value extraction, strategic portfolio development and cross-border IP enforcement and litigation involving China and the Asia-Pacific region. He has managed a range of strategic branding matters, but especially focuses on technology projects for multinational clients. His client briefs include developing IP strategies for one of Europe’s largest venture capital funds, global automotive technology brands, global engineering and manufacturing conglomerates and some of Europe’s best-known fast-moving consumer goods and jewellery brands.
A selection of Mr Papageorgiou’s significant successes include:
- winning patent clawback litigation for one of Europe’s largest engineering groups;
- recovering a number of patent families from potential competitors and protecting the client’s trade secrets in the process;
- winning patent defence litigation before the Supreme People’s Court for Europe’s largest engineering conglomerate;
- advising one of Europe’ largest venture capital funds on strategic China IP acquisitions and disposals for its invested companies;
- winning numerous patent infringement lawsuits for industrial engineering groups;
- winning patent, utility model and design, as well as trademark infringement lawsuits for global filtration companies;
- developing a Chinese freedom-to-operate and technology strategy for one of Europe’s largest automotive parts suppliers, including IP mapping, competitor threat analyses; and
- implementing strategic measures to generate competitive advantage for the client.
Mr Papageorgiou is qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales, an attorney at law in New York and a barrister and solicitor in Victoria. He holds bachelor’s degrees in commerce and economics from Murdoch University, an LLB from Monash University and a BCL from St Catherine’s College, University of Oxford.
Mr Papageorgiou’s recent accolades include:
- Client Choice Awards (2013 and 2015-2017);
- recommended in the Legal 500’s China IP category;
- ranked in the WTR 1000 as a recommended individual (2011-2019);
- ranked as a leader in his field by Chambers Global (2013, 2015-2019) and Chambers Asia-Pacific (2012-2019);
- ranked in the IAM Patent 1000 (2012-2019)
- ranked in the IAM Patent Litigation 250 (2011-2012);
- ranked as one of the world’s leading IP strategists in the IAM Strategy 300 (2012-2019);
- ranked as a leader in the field by World IP Review (2016);
- selected as an IP Star for patents and trademarks by Managing Intellectual Property (2014-2017);
- ranked in Who’s Who Legal for patents (2014-2019) and trademarks (2012-13, 2015-2019).
- LES Scandinavia
Clyde & Co
Shanghai Two IFC
8 Century Avenue
See firm profile