at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
David Greenwald is a partner in Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP’s litigation department. His areas of focus are patent litigation (particularly concerning chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnological patents) and white collar criminal defence. Mr Greenwald is a patent attorney registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr Greenwald’s representative patent matters have included:
- representation in patent litigation under the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of the first biological drug company to obtain approval to market a biosimilar of Humira, the world’s largest-selling drug;
- representation at trial of a major biological drug company in a patent infringement action involving patents covering PCSK9 inhibitors, biologic drugs indicated for the reduction of LDL-cholesterol;
- representation of a biopharmaceutical company in a patent licensing dispute with a medical research centre, involving rights to CAR-T cancer therapy technology;
- representation at trial of a major pharmaceutical company in Hatch-Waxman Act actions to enjoin approval of generic versions of posaconazole, a drug indicated for prevention of life-threatening fungal infections;
- representation at trial of a pharmaceutical company in a Hatch-Waxman action to enforce patents covering formulations of formoterol, a drug indicated for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease;
- representation of a pharmaceutical company in an appeal from an adverse judgment enjoining generic entry of a drug indicated for the treatment of AIDS;
- representation at trial of a pharmaceutical company in a federal action to enforce a patent covering the most widely prescribed prescription anti-coagulant drug;
- representation before federal district courts of various other pharmaceutical companies in actions to enjoin approval and marketing of generic versions of patented drugs; and
- representation of a major biotechnology company in an action asserting infringement of a patent claiming improved methods for expressing proteins in mammalian cells.
Mr Greenwald received a bachelor’s degree, summa cum laude, in biochemical sciences from Harvard College in 1990 and a JD, with high honours, from the University of Chicago in 1993. Mr Greenwald clerked for Hon Richard A Posner, chief judge of the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
825 Eighth Avenue
New York NY 10019
See firm profile