Alistair Simpson is a partner in Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh’s Calgary office. He has been advising clients in IP matters for more than 25 years. His practice is diverse, encompassing all areas of IP law including procurement, transactions and exploitation including licensing, and enforcement and defence work including litigation, with a particular emphasis on patents.
Mr Simpson has assisted small to medium-sized enterprises as well as large multinational corporations in:
- procuring patent and other IP protection;
- conducting freedom-to-operate patent studies;
- providing patent validity and infringement opinions;
- exploiting their intellectual property and assisting in the defence of their activities, providing – among other services – due diligence investigations and the negotiation and drafting of patent and technology licences and other similar types of agreement; and
- developing robust IP strategies.
He has also worked with his clients to develop internal procedures to ensure that IP rights are safeguarded and properly protected. He also has significant experience with trademark and design protection.
Mr Simpson has considerable expertise working with clients in industries relating to both high technology and mechanical subject matter, such as telecommunications systems, industrial machinery and systems including packaging equipment, agricultural equipment, energy-related technologies and medical devices. He is qualified as a lawyer and patent agent in both Canada and the United States, and advises clients with respect to both Canadian and US patent law, which is a particularly strong asset to companies operating in both jurisdictions.
Mr Simpson has been listed in Best Lawyers in Canada, Lexpert – Intellectual Property and Who’s Who Legal: Patents. He is a fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Licensing Executives Society and the IP and Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Sections of the New York State Bar Association.