Partner at White & Case LLP
Alison Hanstead is a partner in the IP practice group of White & Case’s New York office.
Ms Hanstead represents clients in complex patent and antitrust litigations and commercial disputes, in both federal and state courts.
She has significant experience with Hatch-Waxman-related litigation, and advises clients on the IP and regulatory aspects of transactional matters in the pharmaceutical industry. Clients also benefit from her experience conducting due diligence investigations and drafting licence agreements.
Significant experience includes the following:
- Defending Pfizer and Hospira against allegations of patent infringement and claims for lost profit damages in connection with Pfizer’s and Hospira’s manufacture and sale of its NivestymTM biosimilar;
- Representation of Novo Nordisk in Hatch-Waxman litigations against Teva, Amneal and Sun Pharmaceutical for infringement of patents covering Novo Nordisk’s drug Vagifem. Obtained a favourable settlement for our clients;
- Counsel to Boehringer Ingelheim in In re Aggrenox Antitrust Litigation MDL (D Conn) concerning antitrust challenge to a patent settlement agreement;
- Counsel to Pfizer in a series of patent infringement cases against multiple defendants concerning patents that cover DETROL LA, a long-acting version of Pfizer’s market-leading drug for overactive bladder. Won claim construction hearing on all disputed terms and the cases then settled on favourable terms for Pfizer; and
- Counsel to Pfizer in its five-year patent infringement case against Teva and IVAX concerning patent that covers DETROL. After a five-day bench trial, the District Court for the District of New Jersey issued an opinion rejecting all defendants’ challenges to the validity of Pfizer’s patent.