ZBM Patents & Trademarks
ZBM Patents & Trademarks was founded in 2003 with the goal of changing the patent landscape in Spain. ZBM is proud to have achieved that goal and is now widely considered to have set the new standard for patent practice in Spain. Along the way, it has dramatically increased IP awareness in the country.
The firm has grown considerably in a short time and now has more than 25 patent experts in its team, including qualified European patent attorneys and Spanish patent and trademark attorneys. Further, the team of partners has grown from three to 11.
Quality and integrity
ZBM’s patent experts have an in-depth understanding of clients’ technologies and business needs, and the firm is committed to providing services that create value for clients. ZBM distinguishes itself from other patent firms through its relentless commitment to quality. Whether patent drafting, patent searches, prosecution work, opposition or just validations, all work products are cross-checked to ensure that they are of consistent quality. The firm’s attorneys believe that something is not worth doing if it is not done well.
ZBM’s commitment to training both staff and clients is unsurpassed: the firm is involved in all main academic activities in Spain. In-house training ensures that every member of the ZBM team is aware of the relevant legal developments in any jurisdiction.
ZBM’s outstanding work has been recognised both nationally and internationally from the beginning:
- In all editions of the IAM Patent 1000, ZBM has been listed in the highly recommended category for patent prosecution in Spain.
- ZBM is the only Spanish firm to have been listed in the top tier of Managing Intellectual Property magazine’s rankings every year since 2007.
Clients also recognise ZBM’s excellent value for money, and client recommendations have become its major source of growth as small and medium-sized enterprises, multinationals, patent firms and lawyers increasingly find their way to ZBM from the United States, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East.
Areas of expertise
ZBM’s patent attorneys are trained and experienced in a wide range of technical areas, such as pharmacy, chemistry, biotechnology, mechanics, electronics and computer technology. Its patent services include the following:
- Patentability and freedom-to-operate studies – ZBM’s experts are highly trained in searching, and the company takes maximum advantage of its experts’ backgrounds as former patent examiners, Chemical Abstracts Service and STN International trainers and managers of scientific information departments of pharmaceutical companies.
- Patent drafting – ZBM drafts European and Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications in both English and Spanish, as well as Spanish patent and utility model applications and US patent applications. Further, its experts are familiar with the particular requirements of other major jurisdictions, including China and Japan.
- Patent prosecution – ZBM files and prosecutes European, PCT and Spanish applications, as well as national phases of PCT applications in both Europe and Spain. Through a network of associates in foreign countries, patents are also prosecuted worldwide.
- European oppositions and appeals – ZBM provides technical and formal assistance to clients in opposition or appeal proceedings before both the EPO and the Spanish Patent and Trademark Office, including filing notices of opposition and appeal and drafting the corresponding grounds and arguments.
- Patent litigation – ZBM’s patent attorneys regularly act as technical experts in Spanish litigation cases. Bernabé Zea (pharmaceuticals and biotechnology), Anna Barlocci and Mathieu de Rooij (mechanics) and Carles Comes (electronics and software) are sought-after experts in Spain and are often involved in the Spanish leg of pan-European cases.
In addition to patents, ZBM provides the full range of services for other IP rights, including trademarks (particularly Spanish, EU and Latin American trademarks), design protection and domain names.
Other services include organising in-house training for companies and research groups, drafting IP agreements and handling negotiations for both individual cases and full portfolios.
ZBM Patents & Trademarks
Pl Catalunya 1