Yoon & Lee International Patent & Law Firm
Yoon & Lee International Patent & Law Firm provides a comprehensive range of services for IP rights, including patents and trademarks, as well as consultation services for the management and enforcement of IP rights. The firm was founded in 1989 and became a limited liability company in 2017. Yoon & Lee offers optimised IP services for the benefit of its clients through close cooperation and teamwork that maximises the high levels of expertise and experience of the staff of 76, which includes more than 30 foreign and domestic patent attorneys and lawyers. In the patent area, it is particularly well known for its technical expertise and long-term relationships with its clients.
The main specialisation is in patent prosecution, especially in the electronics and software, chemistry and biotech and mechanical and mechatronics sectors. One of the firm’s major strengths in the patent sector is its technical knowledge and expertise and it has a high percentage of patent attorneys and technical specialists in comparison with general law firms and other patent law firms in Korea (30 patent attorneys and 16 patent engineers). In particular, the firm offers an efficient and effective combination of patent attorneys (including a partner patent attorney with an LLM degree from the United States) with extensive practice careers including substantial court cases before district courts and high courts as well as the patent court. The firm also has technical advisors with advanced degrees (PhD and other postgraduate qualifications) in their specialist subjects, including electrical engineering, electronics, communications, computer science, mechanical engineering, chemistry, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and life sciences. Based on their strong technical knowledge, the firm’s specialists are often called to testify as expert witnesses in court cases.
Areas of expertise
Yoon & Lee has four patent teams as follows:
- electronics/telecommunications – including electric, electronics, image processing, software, the Internet of Things and AI;
- standard – communications standards (from data from the European Telecommunications Standards, the firm estimates that it is one of the leaders in terms of number of registrations of 5G standard patents);
- mechanics – including mechanical and mechatronics, optics, software-related inventions, semiconductors, 3D printing, electrical vehicles and vehicles; and
- chemistry/biotech – including pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, biotechnology, chemical and biochemical.
Yoon & Lee provides the following services:
- Worldwide patent application and registration services (Patent Cooperation Treaty applications), worldwide utility model application and registration services, prior art searches, patentability searches and patent mapping.
- Watching services for foreign patents and publications, patent infringement analysis, patent invalidation analysis, patent invalidation trial and litigation, patent infringement trial and settlement negotiations.
- Licence agreements, assignments and other agreements involving all forms of IP rights, technology valuation, technology transfer and contract assistance.
- Invention mining, providing diverse strategies for planning applications for patent and utility model rights, know-how management and translation services.
Trademarks and designs
For trademarks and designs, Yoon & Lee has a tight-knit group that is able to provide excellent and individualised services to all clients. The team is headed by a former trademark examiner at the Korea Intellectual Patent Office and also includes a US attorney who is able to provide an international perspective and meet the requirements and expectations of international clients. The team provides a wide range of trademark and design services and acts for businesses, both Korean and from overseas, in all market sectors.
Yoon & Lee has a wide range of clients both in terms of geographical distribution and industrial sector and also acts for clients ranging from major international companies with established global operations to small and medium-sized enterprises. In comparison with some larger practices, one particular advantage is that all clients are dealt with by the most experienced professionals rather than cases being handled by junior staff. All the partner patent attorneys continue to be involved in case work. The firm is able to work in Korean, English and Japanese and provides translation services for these languages as well as for all languages into/from Korean for both domestic and international clients. Yoon & Lee places great emphasis on client satisfaction by providing quick, accurate and specialised services to meet the individual requirements of clients and to build trust over the long term, which is reflected in the over 25-year long relationships with major Korean and foreign companies.