Unitalen Attorneys at Law
Unitalen Attorneys at Law is one of the largest IP law firms in China. Established in 1994, Unitalen has grown to become a firm of more than 700 professionals practising in all areas of IP law.
The firm is widely recognised as one of the leading IP firms in China. Headquartered in Beijing, we have 20 other offices in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and other major technology and business centres. Our strategically positioned locations give us great accessibility to our clients and ensure a seamless and unified approach at all times.
Our firm has 263 patent attorneys, 66 trademark attorneys and 82 attorneys at law, including former patent examiners and former in-house counsel. The majority of our patent attorneys hold scientific degrees and are proficient in foreign languages including English, German, French and Spanish, and some of them have overseas study and work experience. Our attorneys have the expertise and experience to handle any IP matter.
We practise and advise clients in matters including IP litigation, patent prosecution, patent re-examination, trademark registration, copyright, opposition, invalidation, licensing, validity and infringement opinions, patent transactions and IP due diligence.
We serve clients of all sizes and from a wide range of industries and technologies, including chemicals, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, energy, food, materials, mechanical, medical devices, automotive, semiconductors, optics, aviation, electronics, telecommunications, finance, transportation and e-commerce.
As one of the nation’s most experienced firms in IP enforcement, we have achieved a remarkable record of litigation success in matters including patent infringement, trademark infringement, trade dress, trade secrets, anti-counterfeiting, unfair competition, copyright and cybersquatting. Successful litigation includes the following:
- We successfully represented a Fortune 500 chemical company against a Chinese company in a patent infringement and trade secret case.
- We defended a US company in a patent infringement suit brought by a major Chinese state-owned enterprise.
- We successfully represented a major Chinese internet company in an unfair competition case against another major internet company.
- We have assisted many international companies in obtaining well-known status for their trademarks before the Trademark Review and Adjudication Board and the courts.
- Several of the litigation cases that we handled were selected by the Chinese Supreme Court as Top 10 IP Cases of the Year, and our litigation team was named by China Intellectual Property as the Outstanding IP Litigation Team in China.
We also have substantial experience in technology transfer and licensing. The firm has successfully handled many matters of IP transactional work and portfolio management. The firm has provided IP counselling services to many clients regarding transfer and licensing in proceedings for mergers of domestic and international enterprises.
Our partners are invited as IP experts to engage in and advise on certain national research projects, such as amendments to the patent law and trademark law. In addition, some senior partners are routinely invited by international organisations to speak about patent and trademark practice in China.
Partners serve as guest lecturers in universities, including Peking University, Tongji University and Shanghai Jiaoda University.
We are committed to delivering the highest-quality legal services to help clients to achieve their goals. No matter the need, we take a cost-effective approach to finding the solution best suited to the client’s business.