SS Rana & Co
SS Rana & Co, established in 1989, is a leading full-service IP and corporate law firm with a well-established and highly recognised IP law practice in India.
The firm’s team consists of over 75 professionals, seven partners and a total strength of over 170.
Its clients include over 1,500 Indian companies, Fortune 500 corporations, multinationals and grass root innovators across industries as varied as aviation, automobile, bio medical, pharmaceutical, consumer goods, real estate, information technology and technology, e-commerce, heavy machinery, media and entertainment, sports and gaming, electronic and communication, mobile computing and the Internet of Things, hospitality, fast-moving consumer goods, luxury goods and education – among others. The firm assists its clients with drafting, filing and prosecuting IP applications, as well as successfully securing their IP rights in India, the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries and globally.
SS Rana & Co has been retained by several technical universities, design institutes, government and private institutions, as well as innovation foundations for advising, filing and enforcing their IP rights including patents, trademarks, copyright and designs in India.
Holding both an ISO 27001:2013 certification (Global Standard for Information Security Management System) and an ISO 9001:2015 certification (Global Standard for Quality Management Principles) forms the foundation of the firm’s quality promise to its clients.
- Searching, drafting, filing, prosecuting, renewing and maintaining trademark, patent, design, copyright and geographical indication applications
- Patent drafting, patentability searches (freedom to operate, prior art, landscape), pre and post-grant opposition, rectification and invalidation
- Brand protection, watch, enforcement actions, border measures, IP audits, licensing, franchising, acquisitions
- Cancellations, recovery and acquisition of domain names (actions through the .IN Dispute Resolution Policy and UDRP)
- IP enforcement actions, civil and criminal raids, custom and border seizures, commercial litigation, alternate dispute resolution, banking and insolvency, insurance and consumer matters, legal metrology (packaging and labelling) and food safety, service matters, real estate, construction and energy disputes
- Company law and compliance, labour and employment law, information technology (cyber security, data privacy, etc), environmental law, competition law, policy framing, dispute management, business licences (BSI, ISI, FSSAI, health), contract and negotiations, gaming law, e-commerce, food law, consumer law, taxation, banking, foreign direct investment, M&As
Best practices, proactivity and high quality of service are evident from the smooth and expeditious IP registrations secured for the firm’s clients in India and the SAARC countries:
- Patent granted for a start-up client in India within eight months, in Sri Lanka within six months, 29 days and in Bangladesh within four months, 19 days of the date of filing;
- Design application registered for a client within three months of filing in India; and
- Trademark application registered for a client in Indian within five months and in Pakistan within 14 months of the date of filing.
Members of the firm are frequently invited as panellists and speakers by various educational institutions, government and private trade associations and organisations such as the Indian Institutes of Management, Banaras Hindu University, the Indian Institutes of Technology, the National Law Universities, the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India, the Cell for IP Rights Promotion and Management, and the National Institute for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development.
IP facilitator for start-ups Managing partner Vikrant Rana is registered as an IP facilitator with the Indian Patent Office and has assisted several start-ups with the filing and prosecution of their IP rights.
Awards and accolades
- WTR 1000 Recommended Firm for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Managing Intellectual Property’ World IP Survey 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 – IP Star
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 – Leading Firm
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2012, 2013, 2014 – Leading Firm
- ‘Excellent Contribution in the Field of Patents’ by Social Talks – SS Rana & Co, 2020
- ‘Excellent Leadership in the Field of Patents’ by Social Talks – Vikrant Rana, 2020
- India Business Law Journal’s A Star List – Leading Individual – Vikrant Rana, 2017, 2018, 2019
- ‘IP Gems of India 2019’ and ‘IP Excellence in India 2019’ at the Questel IP Executive Summit – awarded to Vikrant Rana and SS Rana & Co, 2019
- Kaizen Competition Award, 2019 in Service Sector Organization by Confederation of Indian Industry – SS Rana & Co
SS Rana & Co
2nd & 3rd Floors
Sri Aurobindo Marg
New Delhi 110017