Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh
Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh is recognised as Canada’s largest firm practising exclusively in IP and technology law. The firm works directly with global and domestic organisations, and seamlessly as one team with associate firms, to help clients secure, protect and maximise the value of their inventions and IP investments in Canada.
Consistently recognised as the leading Canadian IP firm by a wide range of third-party domestic and international rankings, Smart & Biggar has a history that spans over 100 years of providing the world’s leading brands with sophisticated and creative IP solutions.
From five offices across Canada, the firm offers the full complement of IP services, including strategic IP counselling, IP litigation, IP transactions support, licensing and patent and trademark agency services. It serves many of the world’s leading organisations representing the broad spectrum of industries. The firm’s focus on value includes the following:
- Client service excellence – Smart & Biggar has an international reputation for client service excellence. The firm leverages sophisticated project management and back office systems to manage clients’ matters, and constantly seeks new ways to streamline and increase the efficiency and value of its service offering.
- Expertise – Smart & Biggar has one of the largest IP teams in Canada and offers clients experience in the combined scientific, technical and legal fields, along with highly specialised industry knowledge.
- Technical strength – virtually every one of the firm’s 100 lawyers, patent agents and technical consultants have an engineering or scientific educational background, and many possess graduate degrees in a diverse range of areas. Over 55 members of the firm, including most of the firm’s lawyers, are registered patent agents.
- History of partnering – Smart & Biggar carefully nurtures long-term relationships with clients and expert associate firms around the world. These relationships endure because the firm consistently seeks out opportunities to continuously add value and deliver superior client service.
The firm draws on its professionals’ unparalleled technical knowledge in evaluating an invention, reviewing its patentability and developing strong and enforceable patent rights throughout the world. It also works closely with its clients to develop customised patent protection strategies that provide a powerful competitive advantage.
As patent experts, the firm’s lawyers and patent agents are consistently recognised around the world as leaders in the field. The firm’s dedication to providing the best IP service, advice and solutions is why the world’s most innovative and sophisticated businesses look to it to protect, exploit and defend their IP rights. Above all, the firm is committed to understanding the issues faced by clients and efficiently providing IP services and advice of the highest quality.
The firm’s recognised strength in patent law and ability to provide superior service is the basis for its having prepared and filed more patent applications than any other firm in Canada.
The firm’s patent services include:
- patentability, infringement and validity opinions;
- clearance and right to use opinions;
- prior art searching and performing patent audits;
- Canadian patent application preparation and filing;
- filing and prosecution in the United States and throughout the world;
- licensing and due diligence in commercial IP transactions;
- IP management and strategic counselling; and
- patent litigation.
Smart & Biggar also advises clients on a wide variety of existing and emerging IP and technology law matters, including:
- industrial designs;
- copyright and media;
- internet and domain names;
- advertising and marketing; and
- pharmaceutical regulatory and compliance.
Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh
55 Metcalfe Street Suite 900
PO Box 2999 Station D
Ottawa ON K1P 5Y6