Skrine is one of the largest legal firms in Malaysia, with a sterling global reputation, and a wide range of highly-regarded practice groups. The firm is led by 45 partners and has over 100 lawyers. Our lawyers are all qualified advocates and solicitors, as well as registered trademark, patent and design agents who have rights of audience before various IP registries, the Registry of Courts and courts in West Malaysia.
Clients report that our service is “very efficient and proactive” and another source enthuses: “They have distinguished themselves with excellent service” (Chambers Asia-Pacific).
Our IP team advises clients on protecting, licensing and enforcing their patents, trademarks, designs, copyright, trade secrets and know-how. We act for clients in trademark infringement and passing off claims, as well as in patent, design and copyright litigation.
The practice has a wide range of clients in all areas of commercial and industrial activity, including pharmaceutical, luxury goods, technology and telecommunications, international airlines and manufacturers of industrial and consumer products.
The IP division is led by 10 partners and advises on all aspects of intellectual property.
- Preparation and prosecution of applications in Malaysia and internationally
- Availability searches
- Advice on registrability and selection
- Watch services
- Cancellations and oppositions
- Licensing Acquisitions and assignments
- Due diligence and audits
- Market investigations to detect counterfeits and piracy
- Recordals, including changes of name and address
Patents, utility innovations and designs
- Preparation and prosecution of patent, utility innovation and design applications in
- Malaysia and through associates in other countries
- Patentability and availability searches
- Advice on patentability of inventions
- Patent, utility innovation and design renewals
- Patent invalidations
- Patent acquisition and assignments
- Due diligence
- Advice on protection and enforcement
- Preparation of statutory declarations for copyright ownership
- Preparation of voluntary notification applications
- Liaison with the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs on criminal enforcement of copyright
Trade secrets and confidential information
We offer advice on and drafting of confidential agreements.
Licensing and technology transfers
- Trademark, patent, copyright and trade secret licensing
- Drafting and advising on licence, franchise, distributorship, agency and contract manufacturing agreements
- Drafting and advising on technology transfer agreements
- Liaising with relevant government and regulatory bodies for registration of franchises and other related matters
- General advice on all aspects of IP litigation
- Applications for trade description orders
- Litigation involving infringement of trademarks, copyright, patents and designs including injunctions, Anton Piller orders, Mareva injunctions and other interim relief
- Criminal enforcement of trademarks and copyright
- Passing off actions
- Licensing and franchising disputes
- Domain name disputes
Awards and accolades
- Malaysia Law Firm of the Year – Who’s Who Legal (2013-2020)
- Malaysia Law Firm of the Year – Asian Legal Business (2017)
- Malaysia Law Firm of the Year – Chambers Asia Pacific (2015 and 2020)
- Malaysia Intellectual Property Law Firm of the Year – Asian Legal Business (2017)
- Malaysian Intellectual Property Firm of the Year – Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards (2014-2016)
- Tier 1 for intellectual property – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011-2021)
- Tier 1 for intellectual property, telecommunications, media and telecommunications – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014-2021)
- Recognised as leading international arbitration firm by Global Arbitration Review 100 (2012-2021)
Skrine is the exclusive Malaysian member of Lex Mundi, a network of leading independent law firms in over 160 jurisdictions around the world and the Pacific Rim Advisory Council, a network of 30 top-tier independent law firms.