PC & Associates
PC & Associates is an IP law firm founded in 2008 and is among the few firms originally licensed by China’s National Intellectual Property Administration (CNIPA) to handle foreign-related IP cases. PC & Associates provides comprehensive agent and legal services in respect of patents, trademarks, designs and technical secrets. Its services also cover copyright, licensing, technology transfer, domain name disputes and anti-unfair competition matters.
- IP clearance searches – we conduct pre-filing patent and trademark clearance searches and portfolio searches, and report search results with advice promptly. In recent years, we have produced more and more free-to-operate (FTO) searches and analyses because of increasing demands.
- Filing and prosecution of patents and utility models – we prepare and file national patent filings and utility model filings before the CNIPA and national phase entries for Patent Cooperation Treaty patent validations in China. Also, we draft patent description and claims and provide technical translations in Chinese, English, Japanese and German.
- Filing and prosecution of designs – we prepare and file national designs before the CNIPA and monitor prosecution progress up until issuance of the registration certificate.
- Filing and prosecution of trademarks – we prepare and file national trademark filings before the CNIPA and Madrid international trademark filings to WIPO with member countries designated. We draft lists of goods and services, suggest amendments according to local standard, suggest Chinese translation and/or transliteration of Latin marks, and monitor prosecution progress up until issuance of the registration certificate. Also, we file oppositions, cancellations or invalidations; handle trademark renewals; record assignments, licences and changes of name and address.
- Filing responses to office actions or appeals against rejections – we report official notifications from the CNIPA with comments promptly, and timely file responses or appeals upon instructions.
- IP enforcement – we draft and send cease and desist letters, conduct investigation to collect evidence, or file complaints to Chinese administrative organisations such as administrations for industry and commerce and Customs.
- IP litigation – our legal department has extensive expertise in handling administrative and civil lawsuits in China in patent, trademark, and anti-unfair competition. Particularly, we have gained excellent reputation for dealing with patent infringement matters.
Specialised IP team
With headquarters in Beijing, the firm also has offices in Shanghai and Shenzhen, and representative offices in Hong Kong and San Francisco. The total staff of PC & Associates is about 100, including 40 patent attorneys, 11 trademark attorneys and 25 attorneys at law, among which several have two or more qualifications. In addition to excellent educational background and professional skills, senior attorneys have also worked in top-tier law firms or IP agencies, or in government departments before joining PC & Associates; they have also accumulated abundant experience from their many years of practice. Some have also studied and worked overseas. Besides native Chinese, English, Japanese and German are also their working languages.
Outstanding IP litigation
The firm’s IP litigation practice is well established. Between 2008 and 2019, seven cases represented by the firm had been selected as outstanding sample cases by the Supreme People’s Court. Some principles established in our outstanding cases have been adopted in the patent law and judicial interpretation.
PC & Associates
22 Jian Guo Men Wai Avenue
- Wei Dong, Attorney
- Hong Kong
Sample client list