Obhan & Associates
Obhan & Associates (O&A) is a reputed, skilled and professionally managed law firm with years of experience in IP and corporate law. With a team of highly qualified and experienced legal professionals, O&A offers a one-stop solution in IP and corporate law. The firm stands out for its approach towards understanding the requirements of a client and providing unique solutions with quick turn-around time.
O&A has a pan-India presence with offices situated at New Delhi, Pune and Bangalore, and advises domestic and international clientele, including some of India’s leading business houses. O&A also assists start-ups and entrepreneurs in technology sectors such as information technology, biotechnology and engineering with their IP and corporate requirements.
O&A has regularly been recognised as a leading IP practice in India by a number of international legal publications, including IAM, Chambers Asia-Pacific, Managing Intellectual Property, Asialaw Profiles and The Legal 500.
The IP practice at O&A covers the complete spectrum of services in patents, trademarks, domain names, copyright, designs, geographical indications and other related rights. O&A’s IP team is made up of lawyers, patent agents, engineers and paralegal staff experienced in prosecution and contentious proceedings before the various registries under the Intellectual Property Office, the Intellectual Property Appellate Board and courts across the entire country.
The IP team has also been involved in some key patent litigation in India in technology areas of fast-moving consumer goods, chemicals and biotechnology.
O&A has represented individual inventors, universities and national and international corporations, and a cross-section of industries, including fast-moving consumer goods, hardware and electronics, pharmaceuticals, software, apparel, packaging and retail, process engineering, fashion brands, automobiles and parts, paints and chemicals, magazines and publications and textiles.
Corporate law and M&A practice
O&A’s highly experienced corporate team provides a broad range of transactional and advisory services and prides itself on building personal relationships with its clients and providing a responsive, tailored service that will meet the specific needs of each of its clients.
O&A’s highly experienced corporate team provides a broad range of transactional and advisory services, right from the inception of an entity to general corporate matters. The team has dedicated commercial lawyers who have expertise in drafting, negotiating and enforcing contracts involving a wide range of commercial and IP arrangements. O&A’s corporate law department has also advised on and concluded several licensing transactions, predominantly in the pharmaceutical, education and technology industries.
The synergies between the IP and the corporate law teams have been a key strength of O&A, enabling them to advise clients on all aspects of their transactions and enhance the value of their businesses. The team is recognised for delivering excellent legal strategies and commercially viable advice within prescribed timelines.
Our key services are as follows:
- Patents – patent filing and prosecution, patent drafting, prior art searching, opinions, counselling and strategic advice, and patent litigation;
- Trademarks – searching and investigating the availability of trademarks, filing, prosecution, registration and renewals, trademark licensing and commercialisation, and domain names;
- Copyright – filing and procuring copyright registrations, negotiating and drafting publisher agreements, designer agreements, advertising agreements, assignment and licences, distributor’s contracts and value-added re-seller agreements;
- Designs – preparing, filing and prosecuting design applications, conducting design searches, design watch, filing opposition and infringement proceedings, and advising clients on various issues;
- Plant variety protection – advising and assisting clients on various matters, including registration of plant varieties, opposition of applications and registrations, and enforcement of rights in registered varieties;
- Corporate law – drafting and reviewing commercial contracts, advising and assisting clients in mergers and acquisitions, private equity and real estate, joint ventures and general company advice; and
- Litigation – corporate-commercial litigation, employment litigation, patent litigation, trademark and copyright litigation, and design litigation.
Obhan & Associates
N – 94
New Delhi 110017
- Essenese Obhan, Managing partner
Sample client list
- Aditya Birla Group
- Agfa Group
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd
- Steer Group
- Tata Chemicals Ltd