NLO protects and reinforces clients’ ideas, innovations and trademarks to perfection, bearing in mind the markets in which they are actively involved. How we proceed and work together with clients is governed by the key values on which our organisation is based:
- Fortified with innovation – we are always in search of new solutions and possibilities. We invest significant time and effort in developing new ways to make our services even better.
- Fortified with expertise – our 180 dedicated professionals have extensive knowledge and experience in many fields, which is how we can offer different services at the highest quality. We also have a worldwide network of agents at our disposal.
- Fortified with passion – passion is what all of our professionals have in common. Every attorney is prepared to go the extra mile in his or her field of expertise.
- Fortified with teamwork – we make sure to combine individual expertise in teams, and we think ahead and design solutions beyond the original task.
- Fortified with creativity – protecting innovations, trademarks and ideas is key to our services, but creativity is also pivotal. It helps us to handle processes more efficiently and generate solutions that make a difference.
- Fortified with experience – we are 130 years old but, despite this rich history, we always focus on the future, for in it lies growth.
These have been the key elements of our services for more than 130 years and will continue to be vital in the future.
NLO is the largest full-service consultancy in the IP field and the second-largest trademark office in the Netherlands. We offer a unique combination of technical and legal expertise with insight into the business environment in which clients operate. This distinguishes the 60 European patent attorneys at NLO and 15 European trademark and design attorneys at NLO Shieldmark. By combining our expertise, NLO is able to provide clients with the most comprehensive advice possible. The specialists of NLO and NLO Shieldmark also have the most up-to-date knowledge of the IP market at their disposal, which they use in order to provide optimum management for clients’ IP portfolios.
Products and services
Our client list includes multinationals, small and medium-sized enterprises, universities and R&D and governmental organisations. We offer a broad range of IP services. Our patent services include drafting and filing national and international patent applications; patent prosecution; opposition and appeal patent proceedings before the European Patent Office; providing patent validity and infringement advice; patent portfolio management and advice; patent renewal payment and administration; advising on patent litigation; providing services and advice in the fields of trademarks, designs, copyright, licences and agreements and domain names; IP training; and drafting, negotiating and advising on IP-related agreements.
The European trademark and design attorneys at NLO Shieldmark offer availability searches, registration, oppositions, infringement advice, cancellations, watch services, renewals, in-use searches and mutations.
In an innovative, knowledge-intensive market, the value of an organisation largely depends on IP rights. An effective patent, trademark or design strategy saves and can even make money. For strategic choices involving their IP portfolios, clients naturally wish to receive advice from different perspectives – and we provide comprehensive, tailor-made advice. Our teams combine complementary knowledge and expertise, so that every type of issue can be addressed at every possible level. By working with teams comprising several specialists, we can guarantee the continuity and quality of our services so that clients receive nothing short of prompt, efficient service.
NLO has four offices in the Netherlands (The Hague, Amsterdam, Ede-Wageningen and Eindhoven) and an office in Belgium (Ghent and Mechelen).
PO Box 29720
The Hague 2502 LS
- Hans Bottema, Managing partner