Mathys & Squire LLP
The premier European IP firm, Mathys & Squire has unrivalled expertise in patents, trademarks, design protection and litigation. The firm is ranked across all prominent legal publications, in acknowledgement of our over 100 years of experience in the protection and commercialisation of IP rights, leading the field with insight, innovation and quality.
The firm has over 60 qualified attorneys based in offices across the United Kingdom (London, Birmingham, Brighton, Cambridge, Manchester, Oxford and York) and Europe (Luxembourg, Munich and Paris), as well as teams based in China and Japan. Mathys & Squire’s technical experts have a mix of scientific degrees covering chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, genetics, microbiology, plant sciences, electronics, telecommunications and engineering.
Most of the attorneys hold further degrees and many have PhDs. A number of our attorneys have worked in-house within IP departments of large international organisations and use this experience to enhance the firm’s ability to assist in the strategic, commercial and active management of IP portfolios.
Mathys & Squire works with its clients to maximise the value of their IP assets. The firm’s breadth of technical expertise and depth of professional experience are coupled with a determination to add real commercial value, which drives significant revenue growth through the effective use of clients’ intellectual property.
The firm has a broad spread of clients, ranging from start-ups to major UK and global corporations, many of whom are household names. Clients of the firm value its commitment to professional excellence and technical expertise.
Through its creative approach, the firm has a successful record of securing the grant of key patents and settling disputes. Client companies without in-house patent departments value the firm’s understanding of their business issues and the importance and commercial value of their intellectual property. Mathys & Squire enjoys excellent relationships with like-minded firms of associates from all over the world.
Mathys & Squire’s core areas of expertise are:
- identifying intellectual property capable of protection by understanding the client’s technology and business objectives;
- obtaining valuable patent, trademark and design registrations through skilful drafting and powerful advocacy before the world’s patent and trademark offices;
- representing clients in disputes and contentious proceedings (especially those of the EPO), drawing wherever necessary upon the expertise of fellow professionals;
- facilitating the commercial exploitation of a client’s intellectual property by way of sale, licence or joint venture; and
- advising clients in relation to their IP strategy and management of their IP portfolios.
Mathys & Squire offers a full range of services across patents, trademarks, designs, litigation and related IP rights, both contentious and non-contentious, working across a spectrum of industries:
- strategic management of global patent and trademark portfolios for major corporations;
- advising start-ups in relation to the creation and ownership of IP rights and their commercial exploitation;
- patent and trademark prosecution, including oppositions and appeals, for major corporations;
- providing specialist European (EPO and the EU Intellectual Property Office) expertise to fellow professionals;
- working alongside solicitors and counsel in the United Kingdom, bringing to bear the firm’s complementary skills and experience;
- advising at CEO level on the role of IP rights in revenue generation and asset creation;
- finding paths through third-party patent, trademark or other IP rights, including challenges to validity where appropriate;
- valuation of intellectual assets to assist businesses with a potential sale or initial public offering;
- resolving disputes through various forms of alternative dispute resolution to litigation, whether as the lead firm or as part of a team; and
- bringing specialist IP skills to corporate finance, including due diligence and IP strategy.
Mathys & Squire believes that effective systems for protecting intellectual property are essential so that innovators can be properly rewarded. Clients become successful by recognising the opportunities and risks of intellectual property and following a well-thought-out IP strategy; the Mathys & Squire team becomes part of that success by developing excellence, instilling a culture of creativity and innovation and adding value for all our clients.
Mathys & Squire LLP
32 London Bridge Street
London SE1 9SG
Recommended individuals at this firm
Other recommended individuals at this firm
United Kingdom: England