Mathys & Squire LLP
Mathys & Squire LLP is one of Europe’s most highly regarded IP firms. Founded in 1910, the firm has over 100 years of experience in the protection and commercialisation of IP rights, leading the field with insight, innovation and quality.
Mathys & Squire has more than 60 qualified attorneys and has offices in London, Paris, Munich, Luxembourg, Brighton, Manchester, Cambridge and York as well as a dedicated team based in China.
Mathys & Squire is a full-service IP firm with specialists in a range of technical fields. The attorneys and trainees have a mix of scientific degrees covering chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology, genetics, microbiology, plant sciences, electronics, telecommunications and engineering.
Most of the attorneys hold further degrees and many have PhDs. The team has worked in-house within IP departments of large international organisations and uses this experience to enhance the firm’s ability to assist in the strategic and active management of IP portfolios.
Mathys & Squire works with its clients to maximise the value of their IP assets. The firm’s breadth of technical expertise and depth of professional experience are coupled with a determination to add commercial value.
The firm has a broad spread of clients, ranging from start-ups to major UK and multinational corporations, many of whom are household names. The firm’s clients value its commitment to professional excellence and its technical expertise. Through its creative approach, the firm has a successful record of securing the grant of key patents and settling disputes. Client companies without in-house patent departments value the firm’s understanding of their business issues and the importance and commercial value of their intellectual property. Mathys & Squire enjoys excellent relationships with like-minded firms of associates from all over the world.
The firm’s 25 partners, three of counsels and 34 associates are assisted by a further 15 professionals at various stages of qualification and a team of 13 paralegals. This spread of expertise enables the firm to deploy a team with the right skills, commercial mindset and seniority at the right cost to meet any challenge.
The firm’s core areas of expertise are:
- identifying intellectual property capable of protection by understanding the client’s technology and business objectives;
- obtaining valuable patent, trademark and design registrations through skilful drafting and powerful advocacy before the world’s patent and trademark offices;
- representing clients in disputes and contentious proceedings (especially those of the European Patent Office (EPO)), drawing wherever necessary upon the expertise of fellow professionals;
- facilitating the commercial exploitation of a client’s intellectual property by way of sale, licence or joint venture; and
- advising clients in relation to their IP strategy and management of their IP portfolios.
Mathys & Squire offers a full range of services across patents, trademarks, designs and related IP rights, both contentious and non-contentious, working across a spectrum of industries. The teams have specific industry experience or advanced degrees in most relevant disciplines. The firm’s trademarks practice blends highly experienced prosecution services with portfolio management and enforcement skills.
Assignments for clients vary widely and include:
- strategic management of global patent and trademark portfolios for major corporations;
- advising start-ups in relation to the creation and ownership of IP rights and their commercial exploitation;
- patent and trademark prosecution, including oppositions and appeals, for major corporations;
- providing specialist European (EPO and the Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market) expertise to fellow professionals;
- working alongside solicitors and counsel in the United Kingdom, bringing to bear the firm’s complementary skills and experience;
- advising at CEO level on the role of IP rights in revenue generation and asset creation;
- finding paths through third-party patent, trademark or other IP rights, including challenges to validity where appropriate;
- valuation of intellectual assets to assist businesses with a potential sale or initial public offering;
- resolving disputes through various forms of alternative dispute resolution to litigation, whether as the lead firm or as part of a team; and
- bringing specialist IP skills to corporate finance, including due diligence and IP strategy.
Mathys & Squire shares its clients’ ambition, passion and entrepreneurial spirit and empowers its teams to go above and beyond what clients expect, when it comes to service delivery.
Mathys & Squire LLP
32 London Bridge Street
London SE1 9SG