Maikowski & Ninnemann
Maikowski & Ninnemann is a highly specialised patent attorney firm with offices in Berlin, Leipzig and Munich and with a decades-long tradition in IP law. Founded in 1977, Maikowski & Ninnemann now has 16 German and European patent attorneys – among them six partners – covering the various fields of technology, from physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and information technology to medical technology, chemistry, biochemistry and biotechnology.
The firm’s clients are regional medium-sized firms, as well as large global companies and small start-ups. While having strong expertise in patent prosecution as its traditional core area of business, in recent years Maikowski & Ninnemann has also become well known for its expertise in patent litigation and has successfully taken part in some of the major patent disputes recently fought in Germany.
Due to their specialisation in intellectual property, the patent attorneys of Maikowski & Ninnemann have strong expertise in all areas of IP protection. They deal with clients’ projects and concerns relating to industrial property rights and develop strategic plans for the best protection of inventions, trademarks and designs, as well as the enforcement and utilisation of clients’ rights.
Taking personal care of clients’ interests lies at the centre of the firm’s strategic thinking and operation. Whether your company is large or small, you will find a personal counsel at Maikowski & Ninnemann. There is a strong belief within the firm that a trusting relationship between client and attorney is fundamental to achieving the best solutions for protecting and enforcing clients’ IP rights.
Maikowski & Ninnemann is a ‘pure’ patent attorney firm. In cases that require representation by attorneys at law (eg, patent infringement cases), Maikowski & Ninnemann teams up with specialised external attorneys at law firms with specific expertise for the case at hand.
The most important services provided by Maikowski & Ninnemann are:
- advising clients on the best strategies to protect inventions, trademarks, designs, plant varieties and topographies;
- filing patent, utility model, design patent and trademark applications;
- representing clients before the German Patent and Trademark Office, the European Patent Office, the Federal Patent Court, the EU Intellectual Property Office and other international offices regarding IP protection;
- handling litigation, including patent and trademark infringement suits before the civil courts and nullity suits before the Federal Patent Court and the Federal Court of Justice in cooperation with external lawyers;
- counselling clients with regard to licence contracts;
- monitoring and administering IP rights portfolios; and
- conducting patent, trademark and design searches and patent translations.
Areas of technology
The patent attorneys of Maikowski & Ninnemann are experienced in all areas of technology, including:
- mechanical engineering – for example, mechanics and mechatronics, plant engineering, automotive engineering, naval technologies and mechanical engineering;
- electrical engineering – for example, electronics, telecommunications, semiconductors, measurement and control technology and medical technology;
- physics – for example, optics and light technology (optoelectronics, cameras, telescopes and lasers), medical systems technology, medical imaging and measurement technology;
- life sciences – for example, chemistry, biochemistry and biotechnology; and
Maikowski & Ninnemann’s clients include many large national and international firms, as well as medium-sized and start-up companies. In the ongoing patent wars in the telecommunications and IT sectors, Maikowski & Ninnemann represents, among others, leading mobile phone manufacturers and leading telecommunications and IT service providers. Concerning prosecution, Maikowski & Ninnemann represents various international technology companies, as well as a renowned German biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of pioneering therapeutics for common degenerative disorders and various manufacturers of vehicle systems.
Our working languages include German, English and French.
Maikowski & Ninnemann
- Gunnar Baumgärtel, Partner