Kim & Chang
Kim & Chang’s IP practice uniquely combines the top-rated IP-specialised practice in Korea with the resources of Korea’s leading general practice law firm. Our IP practice not only boasts the deepest and most experienced roster of IP attorneys, patent attorneys and other professionals in Korea; its ability to tap into the resources of the largest general law firm in Korea (also one of the largest in Asia) means that Kim & Chang’s IP practice is able to offer comprehensive legal solutions for all IP and IP-related needs, as well as a wealth of knowledge gleaned when handling many of the most important IP cases in Korea in the past 40 years.
With over 300 professionals, including IP litigators, patent attorneys and foreign IP attorneys, and over 550 patent engineers, trademark paralegals and support staff, we cover the full scope of IP rights. Our patent professionals have specialised technical backgrounds in numerous fields, including biotech, pharmaceuticals, chemistry, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and computer science. Many of our professionals also have extensive experience as judges, prosecutors or Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO) examiners, and their experience and know-how are invaluable in obtaining positive results for our clients. We work closely with other practice groups within the firm, including general corporate law, M&As, competition law and customs, in order to advise our clients on any IP-related legal issue they may encounter in Korea.
Kim & Chang’s IP practice covers the following services, among others:
- Patent prosecution and enforcement – preparation, filing and prosecution of patents in all technical areas, including national filing of foreign applications, and the filing of applications in foreign jurisdictions; training for local Korean companies and subsidiaries on IP development and filing; and all types of patent litigation in Korea, including patent actions at KIPO, infringement actions in the district courts, all levels of patent-related appeals (including Supreme Court cases), as well as agency IP-related enforcement (Korean Trade Commission, Korean Customs, etc).
- Trademark prosecution and enforcement – prosecution of trademark applications and management of global portfolios; registration of domain names; availability searches and strategic counselling from the product design stage to launch and enforcement; registration of trademarks with the Korea Customs Service and coordination with agencies, police and prosecutors to enforce trademarks against counterfeits and infringing products.
- Design prosecution and enforcement – prosecution of design applications; infringement/validity analyses and prior art searches; administrative, civil and criminal litigation proceedings; settlement, licensing and transfer agreements; portfolio management, M&A due diligence and audit work.
- Copyright registration and enforcement – preparation and filing of applications in all areas, including electronic and online content; copyright transactions such as chain-of-title searches, licensing and sale, derivative works and neighbouring rights; copyright litigation and enforcement against copyright piracy or infringement.
- IP counselling and strategy – IP development and management; IP and technology field analysis, including big data analysis; asset valuation and monetisation; employee invention issues; and regulatory compliance.
- Licensing and IP transactions – licences, transfers and assignments of intellectual property; intellectual property as collateral for financing; consulting and negotiations in M&A transactions, distributorships, franchise agreements, and R&D and licensing agreements.
- Trade secret litigation and corporate information protection – civil and criminal disputes; administrative proceedings at the Korea Trade Commission; digital forensics and evidence analysis; alternative dispute resolution; training and advice on procedures for managing trade secrets and confidential information; managing export control issues; drafting and advising on trade secret licensing and development agreements.
- Multinational/regional support – native language capability in Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, French and German; extensive experience in handling multinational litigations, as well as transactions; international litigation support including prior art searches, assistance with discovery including depositions, and non-English native language document review and analysis.
Kim & Chang
39 Sajik-Ro 8 Gil
- Phone: +82 2122 3900
- Fax: +82 2122 3800
- Website: http://www.ip.kimchang.com
- Jay (Young-June) Yang, Managing partner
- Ho Chi Minh City; Hong Kong; Singapore