Jones Robb PLLC
Jones Robb PLLC is a boutique law firm certified by the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council and specialising in patent legal services. Jones Robb understands that its clients expect the highest quality work from their outside counsel and are under pressure to maintain reasonable legal costs. The firm also appreciates that in today’s global and far-reaching society, diversity is critical to the success of a business’s legal strategies. Jones Robb is uniquely positioned to meet all of these goals.
Jones Robb focuses exclusively on providing legal services in the areas of patent preparation, Patent Office proceedings and IP-related counselling (including due diligence and opinion work) because of its belief that these areas are unlike any other legal practices, including patent litigation. Focusing firm resources on these unique services eliminates high overhead costs that can arise in general or litigation practice settings, allowing the firm to deliver high quality at competitive prices.
Quality and value
Quality is the cornerstone of Jones Robb’s practice and distinguishes the firm from its peers. The firm prides itself on consistently delivering high-quality legal work product through dedicated teams of attorneys and staff. In addition, Jones Robb utilises a second-attorney review process that allows firm clients to benefit from the technical expertise of junior attorneys, as well as the extensive legal expertise of the firm’s senior attorneys.
The firm’s services are of the highest legal and technical quality and are timely and cost-effective. The firm achieves this through the following:
- Customised, value-added relationship – the firm’s attorneys and staff provide the quality and experience generally found at large law firms, while its smaller size enables it to deliver services in a flexible manner. The Jones Robb team works closely with each client to understand the business purpose and desired scope of each project and customises its approach and fees to meet agreed-upon expectations.
- Billing certainty – the firm offers reasonable and predictable billing, including both fixed-fee, capped budget, staged and hourly billing options. Mutually agreed-upon service fees give clients the security of predictable costs and the advantage of reliable budgeting. Requests for fee/budget proposals are welcome.
- Use of technology to complement interpersonal skills – the firm believes these categories are not mutually exclusive, but rather synergistic counterparts that allow it to prepare and prosecute quality patents cost-effectively. The firm employs a variety of artificial intelligence software to automate the routine processes that are a mainstay of patent preparation and prosecution work. These software platforms provide quality control and accuracy in capturing data, freeing up personnel to concentrate on matters that require deeper thought and strategic considerations and to forge personal relationships with in-house counsel, inventors and Patent Office personnel – relationships which the firm touts as a key component of its success in developing robust patent portfolios for its clients.
The Jones Robb bench has the depth and breadth of a much larger firm. All of its attorneys are registered to practise before the US Patent and Trademark Office, and many have experience in large law firms, in Fortune 500 legal departments and/or as former patent examiners. Several of the firm’s attorneys have five to 10 years of patent experience, while the firm’s partners average more than 20 years of experience.
Firm attorneys have advanced degrees and years of experience in various technical disciplines, including biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, civil engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, physics and telecommunications. This expertise allows the firm to approach technology from a multidisciplinary perspective, ensuring that all aspects of an invention are identified and protected.
Among the services offered are:
- competitor monitoring;
- due diligence investigations;
- freedom-to-operate analyses;
- global patent preparation and prosecution;
- industrial designs;
- IP licensing, negotiations and agreements;
- landscape/white space analyses;
- patentability evaluations;
- patent opinions;
- product-to-market strategies;
- post-grant practice; and
- strategic patent portfolio development and management.
Jones Robb is celebrating its 11th year of certification as a Women’s Business Enterprise by the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council. Our commitment to diversity extends beyond our ownership and management. We are dedicated to hiring and retaining top-notch personnel while maintaining a diverse workforce. In addition, we strive to foster relationships with both suppliers and clients that share our values when it comes to diversity.