Haseltine Lake Kempner LLP
Haseltine Lake Kempner LLP (HLK) is one of the largest independent IP firms in Europe providing a full suite of IP services across the entire IP rights lifespan in all technical and scientific disciplines. With offices in London, Munich, Bristol, Leeds, Glasgow, The Netherlands and Guangzhou, HLK provides IP services across the globe.
HLK was created through the merger in May 2019 of Haseltine Lake LLP (established in the 1850s) with boutique IP law firm Kempner & Partners. This merger, bringing together two industry leading firms in their specialisations, created a new IP powerhouse and a firm that can truly provide services across the entire IP rights lifespan, from strategy through to filing, prosecution, oppositions, appeals and litigation.
In patents, HLK stands out from its competitors. First, the bulk of HLK’s work involves working directly with companies in the original drafting and prosecution of patent applications. Second, the already strong opposition and appeals team, led by James Ward, has been bolstered over the past 18 months by a number of senior lateral hires. Third, the team of technical experts now work alongside a team of world-class litigators, all under the same roof, led by Richard Kempner.
HLK’s litigation approach is simple: by integrating – where appropriate – scientifically specialised attorneys with leading IP lawyers, all focused on the result, both in terms of its achievability and cost/benefit, clients are given access to a rare mix of the right people focusing on the right things, doing things the right way. No big teams for big teams’ sake. HLK understand that every client’s need is different, which is why they ensure they align a dedicated team appropriate to the size and subject matter of each specific case. By basing the litigation team in the firm’s Leeds office, a low-cost centre, the proposition to clients is a rare one: genuine leading experts at a price that makes sense, with which others cannot easily compete. Their success rate over the last 10 years in the United Kingdom, whether acting as claimant or defendant, stands at 89%.
For brands, the merged firm now has one of the largest trademark teams in the United Kingdom, and is trusted to manage the trademark and design portfolios of some of the largest and most well-known marks. HLK handles over 23,500 active trademarks and 4,650 active designs. There are approximately 1,555 clients on their trademark and design platform with client access.
Some examples of their ground-breaking cases include:
- acting for Asda in the first UK supermarket look-alike case to go to trial (United Biscuits v Asda);
- acting for IBM in the first European trademark infringement and revocation case in the United Kingdom (IBM v Web-Sphere);
- obtaining for multinational company, and simultaneously, 37 interim injunctions for patent infringement (a UK record) against 19 companies at the BCPC International Crop Science Exhibition in Glasgow, the world’s largest agrochemicals fair;
- acting for the successful patentee in AP Racing v Alcon Components – a dispute involving innovative brake callipers for motorsport. The Court of Appeal decision is one of the leading authorities on the law of added matter in patents. HLK recovered a record level of damages in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court. In a second action in respect of further allegedly infringing products by the same defendant, HLK successfully resisted an application by the defendant to strike out the claim, and the appeal judgment confirmed that it is not an abuse to start a second action, even if the alleged infringements could have been discovered in time to include them in the first action;
- successfully acted in 2019 for Netsweeper in defence of a claim by an ex-employee to ownership of a patent application incorporating an invention made by him out of office hours and on his own equipment (Prosyscor v Netsweeper). The judge rejected the claim, holding that all the inventive input of the ex-employee was made during his period of employment and in the normal course of his duties.
In a recent survey of its clients, conducted through an independent research agency, 97% of the firm’s clients were highly satisfied with the overall service provided by the firm.
Haseltine Lake Kempner LLP
London EC2V 6BJ
- Sittard-Geleen (Netherlands)
Sample client list
- HP Inc
- Mars Wrigley