If you want a traditional solution to a common problem, traditional lawyers can help. If you want a creative solution to a complex problem, contact Gilbert’s LLP.
Gilbert’s is built to fit the legal and business needs of innovation-driven organisations. The firm’s practice encompasses litigation, patents, trademarks and branding, government relations and IP disputes across borders. Our lawyers, patent agents and staff work in a tightly integrated, multi-talented and principled manner to enable clients to overcome complex and unconventional challenges with creative solutions.
Gilbert’s sweet spot is intellectual property and advocacy. The firm focuses on key industries such as pharmaceuticals, software, technology, energy, clean tech, gaming and media and entertainment.
In April 2018, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada announced a Gilbert’s report on integrated approaches to managing intellectual property. The report included case studies of eight Canadian companies and recommends best practices for a successful IP strategy.
Gilbert’s is at home in the courtroom and the boardroom. The firm represents some of the largest pharmaceutical and tech companies in bet-the-company litigation. The firm is known for managing international legal disputes and litigating Canadian cases.
In the hotly contested pharmaceutical industry, the firm acts for both brand and generic manufacturers. In the emerging area of biosimilars, Gilbert’s is familiar with both sides of the industry.
Patent and trademark prosecution
Gilbert’s has a robust rights creation team, including professionals with strong scientific and technical expertise. Gilbert’s team-based approach allows its prosecution professionals to incorporate insights from litigation successes to improve client outcomes.
Gilbert’s acts for many major industry players, as well as individuals, in protecting valuable artistic and software assets. Vik Tenekjian leads the firm’s enforcement efforts.
- Tim Gilbert – an IAM Patent 1000 Recommended Individual – is the founder and managing partner of Gilbert’s.
- Matthew Powell – an IAM Strategy 300 listed individual and IAM Patent 1000 Recommended Individual – is a partner at Gilbert’s, a registered patent agent and a licensed professional engineer. Mr Powell leads the firm’s patent prosecution practice.
- Omar Nassif – an IAM Patent 1000 Recommended Individual – is a partner at Gilbert’s and a registered patent agent. Mr Nassif has significant experience strategising and coordinating international patent portfolios, drafting freedom-to-operate and validity opinions, supporting negotiation and drafting of IP licences, and offering invaluable advice in patent litigation matters. Mr Nassif is head of the life sciences group.
- Matt Diskin is a partner at Gilbert’s and an entertainment, commercial and IP lawyer. Mr Diskin is known for his keen strategic litigation instincts and for offering advice on IP disputes, particularly in the software and entertainment industries. An experienced trial lawyer, he also teaches trial advocacy at the University of Toronto Law School.
- Andrew Moeser is a partner at Gilbert’s and a patent litigator with experience in the life sciences, IT, gaming and oil and gas industries. Possessing a master’s degree in biology and having worked as a coordinator of a Phase III clinical trial, Mr Moeser brings a practical understanding to the issues facing biotech and pharmaceutical companies.
- Nisha Anand is a partner at Gilbert’s and a patent litigator with a doctorate in molecular biology, genetics and cancer. Ms Anand has particular expertise and a keen interest in the area of biologic drugs. Ms Anand has extensive knowledge and experience relating to complex, cross-border pharmaceutical patent disputes, as well as regulatory aspects of the pharmaceutical industry. She also has patent litigation experience in other industry sectors, including information technology and oil and gas.
- Zarya Cynader is a partner at Gilbert’s who is licensed to practise law in Ontario and New York. Ms Cynader’s practice extends to all areas of intellectual property, including copyright, trademarks, industrial design, trade secret law and patents. She has experience coordinating complex pharmaceutical and IT patent litigation.
- Kevin Shipley is a partner at Gilbert’s, a lawyer, a mechanical engineer and a registered patent agent. Mr Shipley is known for creative problem solving and for a focus on strategic rights creation and commercialisation strategy for entrepreneurs and scaling businesses. He also has significant experience in developing and managing complicated, international patent portfolios and reducing business risk via competitor IP analysis and large-scale freedom-to-operate projects.