Fasken is a leading international law firm with more than 700 lawyers and 10 offices across four continents. Clients rely on us for practical, innovative and cost-effective legal services. We solve the most complex business and litigation challenges, providing exceptional value and putting clients at the centre of all we do.
Fasken is invested in the success of your business. The management and enforcement of your patents and industrial designs from a trusted and experienced partner will provide you with peace of mind, knowing that we have got the milestone dates covered and that you can focus on the success of your organisation. Good design is often the key to the commercial success of your products. Proper drafting of your patent application can mean commercial success or defeat. Do not neglect to secure your patents and design registrations. Fasken’s patent professionals draft and prosecute patent and industrial design applications and manage IP portfolios. We can also provide specialised monitoring of your competitive landscape, with updates on developments in your field.
As more cross-border deals are struck, patents also have a role to play in licensing, distribution agreements, R&D agreements, M&A and joint ventures. We can advise you on strategies and negotiate agreements on your behalf. We can help you enforce your patent rights in infringement matters before the courts or in alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. We can also represent you before administrative bodies, such as the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board (PMPRB).
Fasken’s patent and industrial design team includes lawyers and patent agents with technical expertise in engineering, medicine and pharmaceuticals, among others. Our team is qualified in both common and civil law.
We work with business clients ranging from solo inventors and entrepreneurs to small and medium-sized enterprises and multinational companies. We also work with colleges, universities and government research institutes.
Clients choose to work with us because we offer the following:
- Technical expertise – we understand the scientific and legal complexities of your intellectual property. Our IP team includes lawyers, patent agents and trademark agents, most of whom are scientists and engineers with advanced degrees in diverse subjects, such as chemistry, biological sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, physics and engineering.
- A big picture strategic approach – we understand your business and how you operate. Our goal is to help protect and capitalise on your valuable IP assets. From a local to a global perspective, we can develop an IP protection strategy that is aligned with your business goals.
- Global network – these days, business is a truly international affair. With offices on four continents and an extensive network of associates who provide local IP advice, we can protect your IP assets in all foreign jurisdictions. Our team is qualified in both common law and civil law.
We can maximise the value of your intellectual property by providing tailor-made services and advice for:
- preparation, filing and prosecution of applications for patents, trademarks, designs and copyright;
- branding and product development advice;
- IP portfolio management;
- IP audits and due diligence;
- legal aspects relating to drugs, medical devices, natural health products and cosmetics;
- advising on patent listing in Canada for patents pertaining to medicines, including the review of patent claims for compliance with listing requirements;
- advising on the application of data protection provisions under the Food and Drug Regulations;
- PMPRB hearings, reporting and negotiations with PMPRB staff in Canada;
- licensing and sale of IP assets;
- IP policy development;
- IP opinions (ie, patentability, registrability, validity, infringement and freedom-to operate);
- IP ownership;
- litigation before courts and administrative tribunals;
- enforcement and anti-counterfeiting; and
- grey-market investigations.
Suite 2400 333 Bay Street
Bay Adelaide Centre Box 20
Toronto ON M5H 2T6
- Julie Desrosiers, Partner