D Young & Co LLP
Clients choose D Young & Co for IP services, confident in the knowledge, experience and dedication that has characterised our work throughout our firm’s history.
We are proud of our heritage, built through supporting innovative organisations of every shape, size and type. Established by David Young in 1891, we have grown to become one of the United Kingdom’s largest IP firms, serving clients throughout Europe, America, Asia and all global markets.
D Young & Co has its finger very much on the pulse of mainstream European patent prosecution. Clients looking for legal, technical and procedural excellence will find it in spades here; D Young & Co is a mixed firm of attorneys at law and patent attorneys, which pays attention to process as well as outcome.
More than 200 members of staff are based at offices in London, Munich and Southampton. We remain committed to providing only the best IP advice available – whether working with small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) or global businesses, and whatever the invention, technology or brand.
Our client base is diverse and international, including academic institutions, blue-chip and global organisations, research institutes, start-up companies and SMEs, and spans all industry sectors and technologies.
We offer a streamlined, cost-effective service to our clients, under one roof, with patent and trademark attorneys working alongside solicitors. We advise and assist not only on UK and EU rights, but also on global portfolio management and enforcement.
D Young & Co has one of the most respected patent teams in Europe, providing the full range of patent services, including:
- patent drafting in all relevant jurisdictions;
- filing and prosecuting patent applications directly at the UK Intellectual Property Office, the EPO or the International Bureau of WIPO – worldwide prosecution is handled by our network of trusted overseas agents;
- representing clients at all levels within the EPO, including oppositions and appeals;
- portfolio audit and strategic advice;
- infringement (freedom to operate) and validity opinions on third-party intellectual property;
- litigation in the United Kingdom, Germany and coordination internationally;
- due diligence work for funding, stock market flotation, business or project acquisition;
- search and watching;
- drafting and advising on IP agreements, and on non-disclosure agreements, R&D agreements, licences and assignments;
- the exploitation of IP rights for revenue opportunities; and
- supplementary protection certificates/patent term extensions.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting international patent portfolios through to grant in worldwide jurisdictions.
Our patent practice has an enviable track record in EPO opposition and appeal hearings and our attorneys are active in steering legislation and policy in the United Kingdom, Germany and at the EPO, where partners are members of various influential committees.
Clients benefit from always working with specialist attorneys and solicitors. Many have either worked in industry or with in-house legal departments and so have a truly commercial perspective.
We are experts in technical areas such as:
- molecular biology;
- computer technology;
- mobile telephony;
- electronic and electrical engineering;
- mechanical and manufacturing engineering; and
D Young & Co is able to offer a broad choice and availability of representation. Our patent attorneys, solicitors (in the United Kingdom) and attorneys at law (in Germany) have a significant amount of experience of contentious patent work in the courts of Europe and the EPO, and in working together to create a seamless patent dispute resolution service.
The IAM Patent 1000 comments:
- “You can’t fault the fantastic quality of the work D Young & Co puts in. It collaborates efficiently to find the best solutions.”
- “The group is composed of strong, consistent performers.”
- “D Young & Co has its finger very much on the pulse of mainstream European patent prosecution. Clients looking for legal, technical and procedural excellence will find it in spades here; D Young & Co is a mixed firm of attorneys at law and patent attorneys, which pays attention to process as well as outcome.”
D Young & Co LLP
London EC1N 2DY
- Jo Hodson, Head of business development