Kristina Cornish - Kilburn & Strode LLP
Kristina Cornish practises primarily in the fields of biotechnology and pharmaceutical chemistry. She advises clients in areas of patent strategy and represents clients at the European Patent Office (EPO) in prosecution matters, oppositions and appeals. Ms Cornish has a track record of assisting various multinational companies in their offensive and defensive patent positions as they bring products to the marketplace.
Ms Cornish has acted as a trusted adviser in the following areas, during the last 12 months.
Part of the team successful in defending the UK supplementary protection certificate (SPC) for darunavir (Prezista®) against a revocation action in the UK courts brought by Sandoz/Hexal. The decision provided new case law on the meaning of Article 3(a) of the SPC Regulation in relation to Markush formula.
European SPC filings
Extensive filings throughout Europe of SPCs for the HIV combination product ODEFSEY ®.
Successful in complete revocation of European patent EP-2456763 owned by Novartis (for the treatment of neurological disorders). Representing one of 10 opponents against a GITR Inc-owned European patent with broad claims to certain antibodies, in a combination therapy, for the treatment of cancer.
New representation for:
- two US company-owned portfolios in the area of infectious diseases; and
- a new US-based client in the area of rare and orphan diseases.
Continuing representation for:
- Synthetic Genomics Inc, a synthetic biology company;
- Honeywell International for their low global warming potential speciality materials; and
- Mars, Inc, in relation to their high-value pet food portfolio.
New clients in the areas of interfering RNA, clostridia technology to high value products for human healthcare and a transatlantic company focussing on gastrointestinal health.
Participation in the wider IP community
Over the last year, Ms Cornish has participated in the following:
- member of the Brexit EU Task Force for the English Law Society;
- tutor on the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorney (CIPA) course for EPO oral proceedings;
- chair of session at CIPA Life Sciences Conference;
- panel member of session on oral proceedings for CIPA Congress; and
- speaker at Cambridge IP Law Summer School.
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email