Kristina Cornish - Kilburn & Strode LLP
Kristina Cornish practises primarily in the fields of biotechnology and pharmaceutical chemistry. She advises clients in areas of patent strategy and represents clients at the European Patent Office (EPO) in prosecution matters, oppositions and appeals. Ms Cornish has a track record of assisting various multinational companies in their offensive and defensive patent positions as they bring products to the marketplace.
During the last 12 months Ms Cornish has acted as a trusted adviser in the following areas.
Litigation support – Ms Cornish was part of the team defending the UK supplementary protection certificate (SPC) for darunavir (Prezista®) against a revocation action in the UK courts brought by Sandoz/Hexal. This case is now being referred to the European Court of Justice for clarification on the meaning of Article 3(a) of the SPC Regulation in relation to Markush formulae.
European SPC filings – Mc Cornish was involved in extensive filings throughout Europe of SPCs for the HIV combination product ODEFSEY®.
EPO oppositions – Ms Cornish successfully defended Janssen EP-B-1663240 relating to a dosage regime for treating HIV, as well as oppositions in the area of antibodies to treat allergic skin conditions.
EPO prosecution – Ms Cornish is the new representative for US-based clients in the areas of treating migraine and Parkinson’s disease and combination drugs for treating cancer. She is also continuing her representation for:
- Synthetic Genomics Inc, a synthetic biology company;
- Honeywell International for its low global warming potential speciality materials; and
- Athersys for stem cell technology.
UK clients – Ms Cornish has new clients in the areas of compositions for treating diabetic ulcers, antisense sequences for treating diseases, as well as numerous freedom-to-operate projects including treatment for eye disorders, interfering RNA medical uses and treatment for ischemic limb injury.
Over the last year, in the wider IP community, Ms Cornish has been:
- a member of the Brexit EU Task Force for the English Law Society;
- a tutor on the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) course for EPO oral proceedings;
- a panel member of session on oral proceedings for the CIPA Congress; and
- a speaker at Cambridge IP law summer school.
Search IAM Strategy 300
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email