Christian Nguyen-Van-Yen - Marks & Clerk France
Christian Nguyen-Van-Yen is a co-managing partner at Marks & Clerk France. Mr Nguyen-Van-Yen graduated from the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Paris, the Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris and the Ecole Nationale d’Administration. He also graduated from the Centre for International Intellectual Property Studies and qualified as a European patent attorney and a French industrial property attorney.
Mr Nguyen-Van-Yen previously served as an auditor in the French civil service. He has worked as a human resources manager, as the head of a business unit and as an investment manager of Thales’s corporate venture subsidiary, where he became vice president of intellectual property.
In 2005 Mr Nguyen-Van-Yen led a spin-off private practice firm from the patent and trademark department of Thales’s IP division, forming a joint venture with Marks & Clerk International. He has led the growth and diversification of Marks & Clerk France over the years to double its previous size and developed its transaction advisory services practice, specialising in patenting and opinion work in electronics, computer and telecommunications cases, as well as in IP auditing, due diligence, valuation and licensing.
Mr Nguyen-Van-Yen’s achievements include the following:
- Since 2009 he has been nominated each year as one of the top 300 worldwide IP strategists by IAM.
- He developed a patent scoring methodology (I-Value my IP), building on his in-depth knowledge of patent scoring and valuation methodologies.
- He created the valuation course at the Institut Européen d’Etudes de Propriété Intellectuelle, France, and has delivered this course for the past 10 years.
- He has developed a practice around the patent factory paradigm to help clients to develop licensing-grade patent portfolios.
- He works closely with litigation counsel to represent clients in a number of patent cases.
- He regularly talks at professional events, notably on IP strategy and IP reform.
- He advises a number of investment funds and start-up companies on strengths and weaknesses in their IP assets and how to leverage and mitigate them.
- IP management consultancy
- Technology transfer
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email