David Berten - Global IP Law Group LLC
David Berten is a founder and partner of Global IP Law Group. He works on all aspects of monetising clients’ patent portfolios and directs the firm’s litigation efforts. Mr Berten has been the principal IP adviser on several of the largest patent transactions in history, with a total transaction value of more than $7.5 billion:
- Mr Berten led Global IP’s representation of Nortel Networks regarding the monetisation of Nortel’s patent portfolio from late 2009 to the sale of the patents for $4.5 billion in June 2011.
- Mr Berten was the primary IP adviser to Alcatel-Lucent regarding the company’s successful $2.6 billion secured debt financing in 2012 and 2013, which was secured in part by Alcatel-Lucent’s more than 40,000 patent assets.
- Mr Berten advised the unsecured creditors’ committee on patent matters in the Eastman Kodak bankruptcy proceeding. Kodak’s restructuring included a transaction involving more than 3,000 patent assets for approximately $525 million in 2013.
In addition to Fortune 500 clients, Mr Berten represents smaller companies and independent inventors in their patent monetisation efforts and leads the firm’s litigation efforts.
Mr Berten has received numerous peer-reviewed awards. He has been named one of the world’s top IP strategists multiple times by IAM and was selected as one of the 500 leading lawyers in the United States (and one of 15 in intellectual property) by Lawdragon in 2012. He has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer (top 5%) for 11 consecutive years.
Mr Berten holds a JD (cum laude) from the University of Wisconsin Law School, where he served as an articles editor for the Wisconsin Law Review; was awarded membership of the Order of the Coif; was a member of the National Moot Court team; and was chosen as Best Oral Advocate by the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Mr Berten attended the University of Virginia School of Architecture and has a degree in urban planning.
- Defensive patent aggregation
- IP auctions
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email