Williams & Connolly is a pre-eminent litigation firm, known for the extensive trial experience of its practitioners. Many of the firm’s 300-plus litigators focus on IP matters in all technical areas, including high-stakes patent litigation on behalf of both patentees and alleged infringers, and proceedings before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Many of these lawyers have technical degrees and are admitted before the USPTO. Ten are former clerks of the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
In the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors, Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Merck, Genentech/Roche, AstraZeneca, Bayer and Novartis all entrust critical patent litigation to the firm, as do brands such as Samsung, Google and Dropbox in the technology sector and major entities in other industries.
Representative areas of concentration
- Pharmaceuticals – a major part of Williams & Connolly’s patent litigation practice is representing brand-name pharmaceutical companies in Hatch-Waxman pharmaceutical patent litigation against generic competitors seeking to sell generic versions of the brand companies’ drugs. Over the years, the firm achieved significant successes for many companies involving a diverse array of highly successful drugs, prevailing numerous times at trial and in the Federal Circuit.
- Biotechnology – the firm handles significant patent, licensing and trade secret disputes in biotechnology for Roche, Genentech and MedImmune, among others, in courts and arbitral forums throughout the world. Representative matters include cutting-edge biosimilar litigation, licensing disputes over billions of dollars in revenue and the landmark MedImmune case before the Supreme Court, which addressed a licensee’s ability to challenge a patent while still paying royalties.
- Electronics and software – we handle major patent and licensing matters in the electronics and software fields. In addition to handling the landmark CLS Bank International v Alice Corporation matter before the en banc Federal Circuit, the firm serves as counsel in trial courts and the International Trade Commission, and in international arbitrations on behalf of major technology firms, including Samsung, Google and Intel.
- IP licensing disputes – the firm has handled or currently handles a number of significant patent and licensing disputes concerning a wide variety of products and devices, including pharmaceuticals, standard essential patents, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms, fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms, and a host of medical devices including surgical instruments for cancer diagnosis and treatment, implantable defibrillators, marine seismic survey technology, laser hair removal equipment and biosensors for blood testing, among others.
- Inter partes review and patent office disputes – the firm has handled close to 100 inter partes review proceedings and our lawyers currently serve as lead counsel in a number of inter partes reviews for both patent owners and petitioners. Many of the inter partes reviews handled by the firm involve parallel district court litigation. The firm has served as counsel in other patent office proceedings of strategic importance to the firm’s clients, including interferences.
- Other proceedings – the firm’s patent experience is also brought to bear in other contexts. Recently, the firm was retained to defend AstraZeneca in Nexium Antitrust Litigation, a class action involving allegations of unlawful settlements of Hatch-Waxman patent litigation. The firm has been retained on numerous occasions by major law firms accused of malpractice resulting from patent litigation or prosecution.
In addition to English, our patent litigators conduct business in multiple languages, including French, Hebrew and Spanish.
725 12th Street NW
Washington DC 20005
Adam L Perlman, Partner
Thomas HL Selby, Partner
Sample client list
- Eli Lilly
Recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email