Santarelli was created by the merger of the practices of Rinuy, Santarelli and Cabinet Bonnet-Thirion in 2003, and has become a leader in IP law. Its primary mission is to establish and protect the IP rights of its clients. Professionalism, responsibility towards clients and close interaction with them are the goals of its teams of IP practitioners.
A multi-disciplinary approach
Santarelli’s reputation is grounded in its expertise in defending clients’ IP rights and its multi-disciplinary approach to the defence of:
- patent rights – including drafting and prosecution of patent applications, filing and defence of oppositions, patent and related unfair competition litigation, validity/infringement opinion work, licensing and assignments;
- trademark rights – including clearance searches and opinions, drafting and prosecution of applications, filing and defence of oppositions, trademark and related copyright and unfair competition litigation, licensing and assignments; and
- other areas, such as industrial designs, copyright, domain names and related computer and internet law.
A diversified clientele
Santarelli provides services to all public and private sectors, from the most traditional fields to cutting-edge technologies. Santarelli has a diverse clientele, ranging from small and medium-sized enterprises to multinationals and including start-ups, venture capital initiatives and research and other public entities.
Santarelli’s attorneys place particular importance on their availability and a proactive approach to IP legal services in the development of clients’ projects. Their skill sets are grounded in extensive personal and collective experience. Their professionalism, interaction with clients and strong sense of responsibility are especially appreciated.
Santarelli’s professionals have broad individual and collective experience underpinning the conduct of their mission: to develop the intellectual property of their clients not only in France, but also internationally, using a network of foreign associates throughout the world.
Patents: a complete range of skills
Santarelli’s patent attorneys review inventions and draft and prosecute patent applications in French and English. All started their careers as scientists and engineers and thus have solid technical backgrounds. They assist and advise clients, regardless of size or field of activity, in securing and exploiting patent rights.
Its patent attorneys are fully qualified and experienced in preparing validity, freedom-to-operate and infringement opinions tailored to meet the needs of corporate decision makers.
Most of Santarelli’s patent attorneys have had training in patent litigation, and many have close ongoing involvement in such litigation and in opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office. Many are also experienced in analysing patent portfolios for potential investors, as well as for initial public offerings and mergers and acquisitions.
Diversity of technical fields
Santarelli’s patent attorneys handle cases in all fields of technology, including:
- biology and biotechnology;
- materials science;
- mechanical engineering;
- physical sciences;
- semiconductors; and
- information science and technology, communications and software.
Trademark defence and protection
Santarelli has a strong reputation for the effective defence of clients’ trademarks through oppositions and litigation. To defend the rights of clients throughout the world, Santarelli has a network of world-class trademark attorneys and trial counsel. Trademark monitoring services are available at national, regional and international level.
Regarding infringement and counterfeiting, Santarelli’s trademark attorneys have considerable experience in customs surveillance and subsequent judicial procedures.
Full range of trademark and design
The services provided by Santarelli’s practitioners include:
- trademark clearance searching and analysis for France, Europe and worldwide;
- preparation and prosecution of French trademark applications (and renewals) at the French Patent and Trademark Office (INPI), EU trademarks at the EU Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO), international trademark registrations through the World Intellectual Property Organisation or the African Industrial Property Organisation and national trademark applications through their network of world-class associates;
- preparation of trademark protection strategies and domestic, European and worldwide watch services, including monitoring and reporting;
- filing and defence of oppositions before the INPI and EUIPO, and before national trademark offices through its worldwide network of associates;
- advice on decision making and corporate strategies, aided by knowledge and experience of national and regional opposition procedures around the world;
- preparation of all types of IP agreement, including coexistence agreements, licence agreements and assignment deeds; and
- trademark portfolio audits for corporate asset valuations or for M&A purposes.
49 Avenue des Champs-Elysées
Luc Santarelli, Managing partner
Marseille, Nantes, Toulouse
Recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email