Vossius & Partner is a partnership of patent attorneys and attorneys at law with offices in Munich, Dusseldorf, Berlin and Basel. Established in Munich in 1961, it is one of Europe’s leading IP firms with clients from all over the world.
The firm focuses on high-end advice for innovative companies concerning all questions associated with the protection and enforcement of IP rights. The firm’s areas of expertise comprise all IP fields, including patents, trademarks, copyright, design rights and supplementary protection certificates, as well as licensing, competition, pharmaceutical (eg, approvals), media and food law. Due to its global network of colleagues, particularly in the United States, Asia and Europe, Vossius & Partner also advises on international protection rights.
As a full-service IP law firm, Vossius & Partner offers clients the technological and scientific knowledge of experienced patent attorneys combined with the knowledge and competence of highly specialised attorneys at law. Based on decades of experience, the firm can provide a comprehensive range of services. This translates into the best possible client counselling and the greatest possible protection of IP assets during all phases of legal disputes and litigation.
Main areas of practice
- Biology and biotechnology – in this relatively new area of science, Vossius & Partner has been a worldwide leader from the beginning. Due to the different technical specialisations of its attorneys, the firm can cover all aspects of biotechnology, biochemistry, biophysics, bio-IT, e-health, pharmacology and neighbouring technical fields. Teams with members of our chemistry or physics and engineering departments are formed in cases where a broader technical background is required. Recommended individuals in this area include Hans-Rainer Jaenichen, Joachim Wachenfeld and Jürgen Meier.
- Chemistry and pharmacology – based on the firm’s historical development, this field is one of the fundamental cornerstones of Vossius & Partner. Clients here range from large multinational corporations to small and medium-sized enterprises. The speciality areas include polymer chemistry, organometallic chemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry, as well as metallurgy. Wherever appropriate, joint teams with the other technical fields of Vossius & Partner are created to span the often complex inventions of our clients.
- Physics, electrical and mechanical engineering, information technology – the firm’s physics and engineering department has gained extensive expertise in handling patent opposition proceedings, in many cases in relation to patent infringement litigation. The technical department has therefore seen an extensive increase in engagement with multinational patent litigation and related patent revocation cases over the past year, primarily in the fields of electronics and medical technology. Recommended individuals in this area include Rainer Viktor and Elard von Schenck zu Schweinsberg.
- Patent disputes and litigation – lawyers specialised in patent litigation team up with the firm’s patent attorneys to counsel clients in patent disputes in all fields of natural science and technology. National and multinational companies are represented by experienced attorneys before the civil courts throughout Germany, as well as before the European Patent Office and the German Patent
and Trademark Office (GPTO). Recommended individuals in this area include Johann Pitz, Thure Schubert and Wolfgang von Meibom.
- Trademarks, designs, copyright and unfair competition – all legal matters in the fields of trademark, design, copyright and unfair competition law are handled by the attorneys and paralegals of Vossius & Partner’s trademark and design department. The highly specialised attorneys at law provide strategic legal advice in all aspects relating to the prosecution of trademarks and designs. In addition, they have long-standing experience in representing clients in all kinds of enforcement on a national and multinational scale. The firm’s lawyers frequently represent clients in proceedings before the GPTO, the EU Intellectual Property Office, the Federal Patent Court and the European Court of Justice, as well as before the German civil courts dealing with infringement matters. Mathias Kleespies, Paul Kretschmar and Christian Hufnagel are recommended in this area.
- Asia desk – for Asian (especially Chinese, Japanese and Korean) clients, as well as clients doing business in Asia, Vossius & Partner provides specialised teams of patent attorneys and attorneys at law, some of whom are nationals of Asian countries, to address specific legal issues, as well as language requirements.
Hans-Rainer Jaenichen, Partner
Rainer Viktor, Partner
Johann Pitz, Partner
Basel, Berlin, Dusseldorf
Recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email