Ropes & Gray’s IP group, built on the legacy of Fish & Neave, provides the full range of IP rights and management services, from rights protection and enforcement to licensing and transactions. With more than 175 lawyers, 40 patent agents and technical advisers and 60 paralegals, we are home to one of the largest and most active IP practices in the country. Our professionals possess more than 150 degrees spanning a range of science and engineering disciplines. With 10 offices around the globe, we are well positioned to meet clients’ needs wherever their IP rights are at stake.
For over 130 years, technology and business leaders have turned to Ropes & Gray’s IP trial litigators to handle their critical matters. No matter the forum, we work closely with clients to devise strategic solutions that best serve their business needs. Our teams are well equipped to evaluate and assert patents against potential infringers and defend against charges of infringement. Our strength lies in combining our mastery of the nuances of patent law with a thorough understanding of cutting-edge technologies. Our years of experience and training enable us to manage all phases of complex litigation – from working with experts to formulate litigation strategies to delivering winning testimony and arguments at hearings and jury and bench trials.
Our lawyers are highly experienced in the complex tasks involved in obtaining patents in the United States and throughout the world. More than 100 of our attorneys are registered to practise before the US Patent and Trademark Office and are supported in their work by patent agents and technical advisers, many of whom hold science or engineering PhDs. Collectively, we prosecute hundreds of patent applications each year. Our patent lawyers also provide the full range of portfolio management services. Always aware of clients’ business needs, we apply our worldwide experience to help clients to decide what inventions to patent, what countries in which to obtain patents, when to maintain those patents and how to protect those patents.
Our IP and technology transactions specialists are corporate attorneys working full time on corporate transactions of all types where intellectual property and technology are material to the deal and the client. Matters handled by our nationally and internationally ranked IP transactions team include everything from IP monetisation and technology licensing to IP debt financing and securitisation, structured IP ownership for tax and accounting optimisation, alliances and collaborations devoted to the development and exploitation of IP assets, the formation and governance of IP technology ventures, IP-driven mergers and acquisitions and asset transfers, and the day-to-day commercial management of IP and related operating and commercial agreements. We work with clients in each instance to ensure that our legal activities are aligned with and supporting business goals.
Rankings and awards
Ropes & Gray’s IP practices are regularly recognised among the world’s elite by Chambers, the Legal 500 and IAM in the United States and worldwide. In 2015 Vault ranked Ropes & Gray among the top 12 Best Intellectual Property Firms to Work For, and in 2014 the US News & World Report recognised Ropes & Gray as its Firm of the Year for patent litigation. Managing Intellectual Property’s 2015 World IP Survey recognised the firm’s IP practices in China, Japan and the United States.
Some of the firm’s representative recent cases include:
- achieving a victory for SAP America in the first covered business method review trial initiated under the post-grant challenge proceedings created by the America Invents Act;
- securing a successful summary judgment win for Purdue Pharma, marking the end of 14 years of litigation relating to Purdue’s OxyContin® pain medication;
- representing a pharmaceutical company internationally in complex IP due diligence matters, patent opinions and due diligence support in connection with numerous transactions;
- advising Dunkin’ Brands Group, Inc on the successful refinancing of its senior secured credit facility with a new $2.4 billion securitised financing facility based substantially on securitisation of intellectual property and related revenue from IP-based licensing and franchise arrangements; and
- representing Rovi and its worldwide patent and trademark portfolio in performing due diligence on target portfolios that the company is considering acquiring or licensing.
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York NY 10036
Anita Varma, Partner
Edward G Black, Partner
Richard T McCaulley, Jr, Partner
Boston, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Tokyo, Washington DC
Recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email