Ropes & Gray’s IP practice is one of the most sought-after in the world. Our global team offers IP-related services at all stages of the business cycle, from rights protection and litigation to licensing and transactions. Highly educated and experienced in science and technology, our IP practice consistently delivers results across a wide range of industries, including life sciences, technology, financial services and education. With 10 offices around the globe, we are well positioned to meet clients’ needs wherever their IP rights are at stake.
For over 130 years, technology and business leaders have turned to Ropes & Gray’s IP trial litigators to handle their critical matters. No matter the forum, we work closely with clients to devise strategic solutions that best serve their business needs. Our teams are well equipped to evaluate and assert patents against potential infringers and defend against charges of infringement. Our strength lies in combining our mastery of the nuances of patent law with a thorough understanding of cutting-edge technologies. Our years of experience and training enable us to manage all phases of complex litigation – from working with experts to formulate litigation strategies to delivering winning testimony and arguments at hearings and jury and bench trials.
Ropes & Gray’s transactional IP team complements the firm’s litigation and prosecution specialists by bringing the full suite of corporate skills to leverage IP through investment, corporate structuring, financing and strategic and commercial transactions. Our IP transactions team assists clients at all stages of the business cycle with the formation and financing of new ventures, the restructuring, financing and commercial operation of established businesses, and the sale and acquisition of companies or defined assets, products and services. Our attorneys are exceptionally well versed in handling structures, transactions, and operations where proprietary brand, media, technology, data, content, knowledge and other proprietary intangible assets are key to getting the work done correctly for the client. Additionally, our attorneys counsel clients on complex licensing, patent clearance and adversarial matters, offering portfolio analysis, drafting opinions and conducting due diligence.
Rankings and awards
Ropes & Gray’s IP practices are regularly recognised among the world’s elite by Chambers, Legal 500, Managing Intellectual Property and IAM in the United States and worldwide. In 2017, Vault ranked Ropes & Gray among the top 12 best IP firms to work for, and in 2017 the US News & World Report recognised Ropes & Gray as its Firm of the Year for patent law.
Some of the firm’s representative recent cases include:
- achieving a victory for SAP America in the first covered business method review trial initiated under the post-grant challenge proceedings created by the America Invents Act;
- securing a successful summary judgment win for Purdue Pharma, marking the end of 14 years of litigation relating to Purdue’s OxyContin® pain medication;
- on behalf of a designer shoe company, successfully obtaining two preliminary injunctions and ex parte seizure of trade secret information and temporary restraining order under the federal Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016;
- representing a pharmaceutical company internationally in complex IP due diligence matters, patent opinions and due diligence support in connection with numerous transactions;
- advising Dunkin’ Brands Group, Inc on the successful refinancing of its senior secured credit facility with a new $2.4 billion securitised financing facility based substantially on securitisation of intellectual property and related revenue from IP-based licensing and franchise arrangements; and
- representing Rovi and its worldwide patent and trademark portfolio in performing due diligence on target portfolios that the company is considering acquiring or licensing.
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York NY 10036
David McIntosh, Partner
Edward G Black, Partner
Richard T McCaulley, Jr, Partner
Boston, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Tokyo, Washington DC
Recommended individuals at this firm
Other recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email