With 14 specialised IP attorneys, three of whom are European patent attorneys, Dr Helen G Papaconstantinou and Partners is one of the largest IP law firms in Greece and broadly recognised as the leading boutique in the country.
Our firm has an international reputation for high-quality expert services and sophisticated legal and business solutions in the IP field. We aptly combine our international orientation with in-depth knowledge of the Greek business and legal environment. What sets us apart is our extensive experience and expertise in the IP sector and our commitment to problem solving and achieving results.
Our firm’s history goes back to 1920, when PD Theodorides founded his law office, which was highly specialised in IP matters. Helen G Papaconstantinou joined the practice in 1965 and became a partner in 1971. In 1986 she took over the management of the office, as Dr Theodorides’s successor. In 1996, she founded the firm Dr Helen G Papaconstantinou, John V Filias and Associates, also dealing with IP-related matters. At the end of 2015 the two practices joined forces, forming our firm.
The managing partner of the new firm is Dr Papaconstantinou; the other four partners are Eva Yazitzoglou, Miranda Theodoridou, Maria Athanassiadou and Fotini Kardiopoulis.
In addition to striving for professional excellence, our lawyers and staff have a strong commitment to professional integrity and business ethics.
Areas of practice
Our expertise spans all aspects of IP and related legal services (eg, consultancy, administrative and judicial support), particularly with respect to:
- national, EU and international trademarks;
- national, European and Patent Cooperation Treaty patents;
- European patent validations;
- utility models;
- supplementary protection certificates;
- plant variety rights;
- national, Community and international designs;
- geographical indications and designations of origin;
- copyright and protection of artistic works;
- exploitation of IP rights;
- licensing and franchising;
- due diligence searches and related consultancy and monitoring;
- litigation involving all aspects of IP law;
- IP consultancy;
- anti-piracy, anti-counterfeiting, customs monitoring and border measures;
- trade secrets;
- domain names;
- alternative dispute resolution and mediation;
- internet law, electronic forms of payment, online contracts and services; and
- competition, advertising and consumer protection law.
Our firm comprises 14 specialised IP attorneys, one legal consultant, one legal counsel and 21 administrative and support staff.
John Filias is the senior managing consultant and coordinator general.
We also collaborate with 25 highly qualified technical counsellors and patent translators.
Our client base covers a broad spectrum, including businesses in all industries and sectors. Clients range from large international companies and market leaders to small local businesses, represented either directly by us or indirectly through trademark and patent agents and practices all over the world.
All of our attorneys are members of the Athens Bar Association and one is a member of the German Bar.
In addition, our attorneys are active members of various international associations, including the European Patent Institute (EPI), the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys, the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI), the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), the International Trademark Association, the Pharmaceutical Trademarks Group, MARQUES, the European Communities Trademark Association, UNION, the German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property and the UK Society of Legal Scholars.
Moreover, Dr Papaconstantinou has for a number of years been secretary general of EPI, and is currently president of the national groups and a member of the executive committees of FICPI and AIPPI.
We are consistently ranked among the top IP law firms in Greece by international legal directories and associations. Indicatively, our most recent recognitions include:
- Managing Intellectual Property – ranked as top-tier IP Stars for trademarks 2017;
- Managing Intellectual Property – top-tier rankings for patents and trademarks, 2015 and 2016;
- Legal 500 – top-tier rankings in intellectual property, 2015 and 2016;
- Corporate INTL – IP Litigation Law Firm of the Year in Greece, 2015 and 2016;
- Corporate INTL Legal Awards – Winner, 2015;
- World Trademark Review 1000;
- IAM Patent 1000; and
- GCR 100 – Leading Firm for Competition, 2015.
Certification awarded according to the International Organisation for Standardisation Standard 9001:2008.
Working languages include English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.
2 Coumbari Street
Maria Athanassiadou, Partner
Recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email