Founded in 1994, Lung Tin Intellectual Property Agent Ltd – one of the first IP firms approved by the government to represent international clients in China – is headquartered in Beijing, with branch offices in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Xi’an, Shenyang, Osaka and New York. Since its establishment, Lung Tin has grown into a prominent full-service IP firm, with a network of strategic alliances worldwide to provide clients with global IP services.
The firm has over 160 attorneys out of 300 staff members. About one-third of its staff members have advanced degrees and about two-thirds use English as their working language. In addition, many are fluent in Japanese, Korean, German and French.
What makes Lung Tin different?
Commitment and dedication – Lung Tin is a quality-focused IP firm and is distinct from other firms and agencies:
- Lung Tin has experienced and confident professionals. Its key professionals have been with Lung Tin for more than 10 years, helping it to deliver consistent and top-quality IP services – both legal and technical. Its professionals have the technical skills to interpret complex facts and the law with scientific expertise, and are committed to providing tailored services of the highest standard with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Lung Tin has responsive and efficient paralegals and assistants. Its professionals are well supported by its well-trained paralegals and assistants who ensure prompt, precise and cost-effective delivery of work by using state-of-the-art equipment and a details-oriented system for communication, product processing, docketing and billing.
How does Lung Tin earn clients’ trust?
Reliability and success – this is what Lung Tin delivers to clients. Specifically, delivering value to clients with accuracy, consistency, speed and reliability is of primary importance at Lung Tin, because Lung Tin’s success depends on its clients’ success. From individual inventors to multinational companies, its clients trust it to handle some of their most important assets – their intellectual property.
A range of qualities helped Lung Tin to succeed in various cases in recent years. For example, it is:
- skillful and well prepared – which helped it to win a high damages award under the current judicial practice in China in Bauerfeind AG v Zhejiang Steriger Sports Safety Co Ltd, in which client Bauerfeind AG won an important victory in the Beijing Second Intermediate People’s Court for design patent infringement;
- strategic and technical – which ensures its attorneys deliver satisfying results to clients. In In re Hong Kong Polytechnic University Lung Tin’s client Hong Kong Polytechnic University prevailed on validity challenges in a series of invalidation proceedings against international and domestic companies;
- persistent and sharp minded – which ensures its attorneys’ efforts are recognised. In Macy’s PLC v Trademark Review and Adjudication Board, the Beijing Intellectual Property Court upheld Lung Tin’s client Macy’s CHARTER CLUB mark, deemed its original equipment manufacturer (OEM) use as effective and actual in China and rejected the Trademark Review and Adjudication Board’s decision. The IP court’s decision is a rare and important one because it recognises that OEM use can prove actual use of a trademark in China in the context of non-use cancellations; and
- pioneering and talented – which helps it to achieve significant results. In Shanghai Pafuluo Stationery Co Ltd v Shanghai Art Imagine Stationery Co Lung Tin’s client Shanghai Pafuluo Stationery Co Ltd won a second-instance victory in the Shanghai IP Court for copyright infringement. The Shanghai IP Court and the Supreme People’s Court credited this case as a top 10 case for 2015.
Rankings and awards
- China Leading Law Firm by Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2017
- Recommended Firm for Patent Prosecution by the IAM Patent 1000, 2014 to 2017
- A Top Tier Firm for Patent Prosecution, Patent Litigation, Trademark Prosecution by Managing Intellectual Property, 2010 to 2017
- Trademark Prosecution Firm, Bronze by the WTR 1000, 2015 to 2017
- Four-star Patent Firm in China in 2017 by China IP News
- Outstanding IP Service Team in China by China Intellectual Property Magazine and China Daily, 2016 and 2017
- Preferred Trademark Agency by the China Trademark Association, 2012 to 2017
- Top 10 Chinese Patent Firm by IPRdaily, 2016 and 2017
- Top 10 Chinese IP Firm by the chief legal officer of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2017
18th Floor Tower B Grand Place
No 5 Huizhong Road
Qinghong Xu, Partner
Siyue (Jacob) Zhang, Partner
Hong Kong, New York, Osaka, Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Xi’an
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email