AWA is a leading IP consultancy firm with a presence in both Europe and Asia. We strive to be the champion in intellectual property for every client.
AWA's 165 patent attorneys, attorneys at law and IP experts possess extensive skills in issues relating to patents, design protection, trademark protection, marketing law, disputes, contracts and risk analyses.
Our clients are intensely innovative businesses and our global client base includes the companies behind many of the world’s most valuable brands and patent portfolios, together with leading partner agencies in complementary markets.
We are committed to our clients and our longest-lasting client relationships date back to the 19th century. Such longevity is down to our ability to tailor our services to a client’s shifting needs – we can implement a particular strategy, but we would rather take the lead on a business’s IP needs because that is when our partnerships are at their most productive. The firm has more than 3,000 clients in 70 countries across the globe.
AWA was founded in 1897 and today has 300 employees at 16 offices in Sweden, Denmark, Germany and China. In 2017 we reported net sales of €68.5 million.
Our IP expertise supports the companies of today in building the prosperity of tomorrow. Clients need a creative and flexible IP partner to flourish in a changing world. We help clients to get the most out of their ideas by creating new long-term business opportunities.
We are our clients’ IP champion and we fight on their behalf. We are their best partner, but also their toughest opponent. We are devoted and never stop finding surprising new ways to make clients more successful.
We will be the first choice in intellectual property for clients and dedicated people everywhere by developing the market – together.
- Telecommunications – clients include several of the world’s Ivy League telecommunications corporations, both technology developers and network equipment and consumer product manufacturers.
- Nanotechnology – from drug delivery systems to new materials and components for electronics, physics and chemistry, our specialists can handle the challenges of patenting in this growing field.
- Life sciences – our life sciences and chemistry specialists assist an array of companies, ranging from pharmaceutical corporations with sales in 100 countries to research companies seeking venture capital.
- Cleantech – we are proud to support many clients which are developing technologies that will keep our planet healthy for generations to come, from power generation to fuels and energy-efficient lighting.
- Consumer brands – we advise the owners of a number of the world’s 500 most valuable consumer brands in industries such as fashion, household appliances, consumer electronics, pharmaceuticals and food.
Awards and rankings
Over the years our work has been continuously honoured with different national and international rankings. Recent examples include the following:
- AWA won the honourable Managing Intellectual Property award Sweden Prosecution Firm of the Year 2018 for the second consecutive year. It was also shortlisted for Denmark prosecution and Scandinavia.
- In the 2018 edition of WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, Awapatent is recognised in the international rankings (comprising 21 IP firms) with the recommendation: “Awapatent has successfully positioned itself as a thoroughly modern international IP consultancy, with a strong presence in Northern Europe and Asia. AWA Group CEO Magnus Hallin, based in Malmo, must be credited with this success. He is very much into the business side of intellectual property, and has changed the face of the firm better to serve the commercial needs of its patrons.”
- AWA is highly recommended for prosecution in the IAM Patent 1000’s latest rankings.
Malmo 200 71
Magnus Hallin, Chief executive officer
Beijing, Borås, Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Helsingborg, Hong Kong, Horsens, Jönköping, Linköping, Lund, Malmö, Munich, Östersund, Stockholm, Uppsala, Växjö
Sample client list
- ABB Group
- Axis Communications
- Bang & Olufsen ICEPower
Recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more IAM blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email